My First Pigeon Update on BYC

Quacking Pigeon

Crowing
Mar 12, 2018
NSW, Australia
My Coop
My Coop
So this is my first Pigeon Update on BYC. I usually upload weekly updates on my YouTube channel, on my pigeons and ducks (I don’t talk). At least on BYC I’m able to tell more information on my birds, so I will get started.

Pigeon Update #1
The pigeons are all going well. I have 2 blue bar fantails one which is my breeding female and the other it’s baby. I have a king?! and a weird white cross which looks to me like a white Turkish tumbler x fantail. I have a heap of the two pigeons I just mentioned young, males are brown with slightly spread grey tails (which I call fan). The females usually have a feral/Racing pigeon tail, a grey head which can have a heap of white on it and brown wings which also can have a heap of white on them.

Also I have two pigeons which are fantail x the offspring from my mixed pair, they have a fantail face and a larger fan then my mixed pair offspring. One is white and the other looks like the males from the mixed pair. Also I had a blue bar pair of Serbian High flyers but the male got taken. I have 4 squabs at the moment 3 are brown with grey tails and one is white and crested, I also have some eggs hatching from my mixed pair.

My pigeons from the mixed pair are often mistakened as High Flyers which I can see. Also the pigeon on my profile pic is the first female from the mixed pair. I am now planing on getting some more pigeons again from the person I originally got my mixed pair from and my Serbian High flyer pair.

That’s all I have for now and have a great day!!!

This is one pic I have of the first two offspring from my mixed pair. The female is on the left and the male on the right.
82821952-DA4A-4EE9-803A-B26802ED3646.jpeg

So I now have the photos. Some of my pigeons aren’t in these and also I took these with my iPad so they are bad quality.

1st image- 4 squabs
38D355AE-39C1-4195-8381-6A902A1B285A.jpeg

2nd image- Pigeons on loft roof
F09FDFDC-821A-4561-86CB-9FB0A4797B84.jpeg

3rd image- King pigeon? Female from the mixed pair
1A1911FF-7FFC-4502-B122-9D73D3327FA0.jpeg

4th and 5th image- Male from mixed pair (anyone know breed?)
FCA8C757-BB3B-4803-AB5A-8B9F883F3520.jpeg 1A11891E-3D33-4F82-92D1-69167604E5C3.jpeg

6th and 7th image- Pigeons In paddock
3DD74A90-EE71-4B8A-B822-079305E25FC5.jpeg F47FC05C-6023-47E5-BB4F-2066D22005FF.jpeg

8th and 9th image- Pigeons on loft roof again
7087BA66-BB13-49A4-A449-F32080538485.jpeg 5EC466BD-376F-4D2E-B6A8-DF073EFC892F.jpeg

The Serbian High Flyer is the one with a helmet?! She’s quite a nice bird but she hasn’t flew well since her mate had been taken. Also she never laced any eggs.

Most of these pigeons are offspring from the mixed pair, even some being babies from their babies.

On my next update I will upload pics on the newly hatched squabs and the new pigeons I may be getting this weekend. So stay tuned and thanks for reading!!!

Are you getting the new ones from the questionable breeder, or someone else.?
Can you get another High Flyer to match up with the one you have?
When I restart my loft, I may divide it into 2 sections and have High Flyers, in one, and Homers in other section. No desire to get into rollers. I don't want the mixed genes affecting the homing instincts of my homers. If I'm not mistaken, High Flyers, and rollers are not very good at returning home from relatively short distances. They are just fine to keep for loft flying. There are always exceptions when such do make longer journeys to find home loft.
My second to last flock was a mix of some sort. Not very good at homing. Many I lost when a hawk flew by, and the flock dispersed. I did not see a hawk capture any BTW. but afterwards, each time , 2 or more did not find their way home. (hawk would only eat 1). This was the same scene a number of different times. I conclude that when they flew for their lives, were not able to find way home. This was during loft flying exercises.

My thinking about areal predators is,,,,,, Homers are fast fliers, so they have a chance to out-fly some hawks. Seen my first flock chased by hawks, but never lost any to hawk. High Flyers cruise higher than hawks, so are not targeted that much when so high. Rollers, IMO are hawk magnets.:hit Unless you take them in your KIT and fly them where you believe it's safe.

I’m getting some new birds from the breeder who I got my original pairs off. Hopefully he has some Serbian High flyers and just plain blue bars (I imagine the blue bars are some colour of Pakistan high flyers).
I don’t own any racers at the moment the only reason I was interested is their colours and how they look and also their flying ability.

I divide my loft by gender but that haven’t been going so well. All because I had to let the Hens and cocks out together last year they ended up pairing up. My breeder section only has one pair in it at the moment, while in the rest of the loft their are 4 pairs.

I do sometimes toss my birds in the paddocks, because I’ve done it so many times in the same area they go straight back. When my white female fantail was sick and I tossed her she all a suddenly had this great homing ability and went straight back while when she was her normal self she just landed straight away on the ground (this fantail has passed).

The only bird I have had taken by a hawk is my male Serbian High flyer. Once I almost lost a fantail to one but it flew into the gate and the hawk went up. My pigeons have multiple times scattered from a hawk they all going bolting in the air all going different directions, some going way higher then others and flying longer distances.

Back
Top Bottom