My first winter with the geese

tamz08

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 19, 2010
Knaresborough, North Yorkshire
Hi, probably a question which has previously been asked but with the grass being very short and the ground hard & frosty, what else besides wheat & goose pellets can I give my geese. Can they eat straw? Thank you

Quote:
Iwould think that since straw is a bedding. No
hmm.png
they cant.

they will still eat the grass though I think
smile.png

Edit for typo

Last edited:
Yes, they can eat hay. Ours are on a diet primarily made up of hay all winter. Just make sure they have grit or gravel available to aid digestion. They will also pick through straw for leftover seeds if you provide that for bedding.

Quote:
OH tell me again what hay to get for the geese? My feed store doesn't carry the hay that has grass in it but I may be able to get it at TSC the next time I head that way. Thanks.

Just about any hay is going to work. I feed a grass alfalfa mix, but a straight alfalfa or legume would be acceptable -- they'll just pick through for the leaves and leave most of the stems but you can always repurpose the stems for bedding.

I don't see any reason why not.

Your geese are not unique in their preference for grain. Grain is a concentrated source of calories, in nature those are hard to come by and so they're biologically programmed to like it a lot. In nature this would help them survive by making them likely to consume as much as possible whenever they found it. In domestic settings it's delivered daily and thus, it's the human's job to ration it out. Take the grain away, let them get hungry, they'll figure out the hay and then once they're eating it well you can start giving them a limited amount of grain again each day. You have to motivate them to eat it otherwise they will choose grain instead. The first couple days don't be surprised if they are reluctant and pitch a protest. Ours eat only grass and legumes they forage on their own throughout the entire growing season, no grain, they still protest when they first have to switch to hay in the winter. Takes them a day or three and then they figure it all out. They won't starve themselves so let them have their fit and get over it and then go about your business as usual. HTH!

Back
Top Bottom