My five week old BO isn't walking well!!!!

chiknwhisperer

Songster
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Lowell, IN
This just started today. She was fine before this. When she walks it is only for a few steps and they she lays down for a good stretch of time. Sometimes when she walks the steps are really fast and shuffled and then its kinda like a crash landing. Please help. DH will be mad if his chick dies. Even though he said he doesn't like chicks. She is such a sweet heart I hope you guys can give me an idea what might be wrong with her.
fl.gif

how old is the hen?

is she laying?
is she regular?
what all do you feed?

has she been wormed?
is so, when? and what was used?
describe her droppings..color and consistency..
check vent for drainage.

how high are the roosts?
what do you use for bedding?
check the legs/back/hip for any swelling or heat or injury.
check the bottoms of feet and between the toes very well for any sores, or scabs, heat or swelling..or any splinter, etc.

she might have a form of Rickets, and need some calcium and vitamins.

She is only five weeks old. Droppings are good. She is in pine shavings with her other buddies who are very healthy. No perch yet. I checked the vent and legs and feet and there are no pasties or swelling or anything. And she is very alert and watches everything I do.

Well her attention span is good, she likes watching the computer screen. She got up and pecked at a few things on the desk and now she is watching me type. I hope its just a cold but I can't see how that would effect her walking.

Still not walking much and not eating any treats that I give her. She is staying awake more then yesterday. But now her droppings are getting watery.

sounds like respiratory illness...
if she is drinking water, but not eating..that could cause the watery droppings...
have the droppings been watery?
how are the droppings of the other chicks?
she might have cocci..which lowers the immune system and leaves them vulnerable to respiratory illness..

I prefer using Tylan 50 injectible..for respiratory..

are you using medicated chick feed?
if so..Sulmet would treat cocci, and also claims to treat some other respiratory illnesses.

what all are you feeding?
any vitamins?

how long have they been on the pine shavings?
did you ever cover it with paper towels?
sometimes chicks eat the shavings...
(do check her crop and make sure it isn't blocked, or lumpy)
are they commercial pine shavings? not cedar?
(shouldn't use cedar)..
make sure the bedding is always clean...

Quote:
The dropings got watery a couple of days ago. She usually doesn't eat the pine chips and they get changed regularly. She was standing up earlier longer then what she has been. The dropings look a little better today but still watery. The other chicks are just fine and she has been seperated from them. Their food is not medicated and I went to the feed store to see if they had anything for poultry but it was all for horses. I have vitamins for my cornish so I add some to her water to see if it will help some. I hope it helps. It was the only other thiing I could think of.

are there no other farm/feed stores in your area?
any vets?

if they are not on medicated feed..Corid would treat cocci..or Amprol (both are amprolium)

Sulmet is usually widely available..

Tylan 50 injectible is used for livestock..
or you could try and get some aureomycin or terramycin if nothing else.

best way to know if the chick has cocci is to have a fecal float (test) done by a vet.

you posted.."she usually doesn't eat the pine chips"
have you checked the crop yet?

I think the problem with her walking is due to weakness from not eating..
either because she has an impacted crop, or because she's sick with cocci, or respiratory illness.

try making up some scrambled eggs and feeding them to her. she really needs some nourishment.
you can also make add some warm water to feed with a little egg yolk..see if it perks her interest..

Back
Top Bottom