My flock is attacking people!

SkyStorm

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Well, my chicks are over 3 weeks old now, they have complete run of my yard. They can get to the porch, back, front, and everywere pretty much. I am not sure if this is normal flock behaviour, especially for such youngings. I will just start. I spend about 2 hours a day with my flock/herd (rabbits) in total. I pet them, hang out with them, and they love to sit on my legs. I noticed that now a days, they have started attacking people that are not me. Even my family, other people who are here all day long, they don't spend time with the chicks but they are in and out of the yard. My father and I were walking, out of no were 5 of my chicks came running out and tried to attack his feet. Luckily they are very small so it didn't hurt him. If I reach for them, sometimes they will go at me, but it is just like they go after another flock member, getting the pecking order down.
I am constructing there coop right now though. Is this normal behaviour for young chicks, or any chickens, to attack people other then there handlers?

My adult chickens don't do this. I'm not sure if it's normal or not... I don't think it is, but it might also be something that your chicks will outgrow.

it's normal chick behaviour... you'll see as soon as the hen make a noise (in this case = you), all chicks will come running and peck around the hen for food.

Yup, I agree, it doesn't sound to me like they are "attacking" as such, just that they are swarming over to you to get the food you surely must be feeding (or revealing) to them
smile.png

3 wks is pretty young to be 'free ranging' without a hen to protect them, be real careful with that.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Quote:
I am not too worried. My yard is surrounded by a 6 foot brick wall. Plus they are mainly on my covered porch.

Anyway, thanks guys. Again they are not attacking me, just other people.

Back
Top Bottom