My Flock Is Falling ApartšŸ˜¢ Is it Marekā€™s? Gleet? Iā€™m DevastatedšŸ˜ž

Apr 29, 2023
Glen Saint Mary, FL
Hi allā€¦I am going to throw a lot at you, so please bear with me and thanks in advance for your patienceā€¦Iā€™m a people nurse and this is my second time raising chickensā€¦but the first time was in a different state/climate with a few breeds and they were a breezeā€¦now Iā€™m in the south with all kinds of different fluffy butts and ROOSTERS and it hasnā€™t even been a solid year and I feel like weā€™re circling the drain with chickie challenges šŸ™

So starting off I have 11 hens- 4 Eggers, 2 Orpingtons, a Light and a dark Brahma, a RIR, a Gold Wyandotte and a black Australorp.

I had two silkie roosters but one of them had to be rehomed about six weeks ago due to his extreme aggression towards the girls and his bro once he went ā€œFull Rooā€. Now Iā€™m also considering donating my other roo bc of what I ā€œthinkā€ he might be doing to some of the girls with his insatiable libido?? Itā€™s a shame bc heā€™s cute and not nasty like his brother, but since heā€™s such a squirt he really has to tackle some of these bigger girlsā€¦particularly my largest gal Bunny the dark Brahma who has something hellish going on with her backsidešŸ„ŗ

Iā€™ve noticed some girls, my RIR in particular ā€œpluckingā€ at some of the girls fluffy butts and eating the feathers! But I also found chunks of feathers gone around some of their necks, likely where Dixie grabs them for his ā€˜afternoon delightā€™šŸ„“. But some girls are worse than others, Pepper the australorp looks like she went through the garbage disposal and poor Coco the Wyandotte, who used to be my Queen of the Coop, is now a timid kitty with her little pink butt exposed. Ginger, my RIR is a HUGE feather snackerā€¦and sheā€™s missing some neck feathers yet her bum is fluffy. Oddly enough, my Buff/Lav Orpingtons and four Eggers all look just fine. And then there is Honeyā€¦my light Brahma. sheā€™s the one Iā€™m most worried about. Her feathers are actually fineā€¦but my daughter and I were putting saddles on ALL the girls the other day, and when we got to Honeyā€¦we discovered something terrible about her wingā€¦it was swollen and dropped..,I had never noticed this before, and she was very tender to the touch, I was afraid that she had broken it? But when I investigated further, I saw and felt this hideous tumor/cystšŸ˜‘. The breeder where I got my chicks last April vaccinates all their birds for Marekā€™s and they are very strict about bio containment. I have not introduced any new birds to my flock, and I havenā€™t been around any other chickensā€¦but I donā€™t know what else this could be? See pics attached. Other than the tumor, she has no other issues, and other than this feather problem, which I canā€™t tell if itā€™s rooster inflicted or something else, no other symptoms with the birds. They all eat fine, they have plenty of space, they free range every day. Our property is only 5 years old and the people we bought it from built the house 2 years before we moved in and did not have livestock. Iā€™m just wondering if this isnā€™t Marekā€™s, what else could it be? And if it IS Marekā€™sā€¦I guess thereā€™s really not much else that I can do except for provide them with as much love and care as I have been until it looks like they are uncomfortable? I have increased the protein in their feed, I always add probiotics to their water or electrolytes in the summer heat, I sprinkle ā€œwormsBeGoneā€ herbs on their scratch every morning (been doing that for 6 monthsā€, they always have plenty of grit and oyster shells, grubby treats and I started supplementing them with a treat mix for feather health. Plus vetricyn spray on the bums and hen healer.

Any insight or advice that anyone has would be amazingā€¦I just love these babies and Iā€™m so crushedšŸ˜ž

Thanks in advancešŸ«¶šŸ¼

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0092.jpeg
    IMG_0092.jpeg
    801 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0094.jpeg
    IMG_0094.jpeg
    838.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    645.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    406.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0083.jpeg
    IMG_0083.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0080.jpeg
    IMG_0080.jpeg
    459.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    342.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    375.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0069.jpeg
    IMG_0069.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0065.jpeg
    IMG_0065.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0082.jpeg
    IMG_0082.jpeg
    362.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0085.jpeg
    IMG_0085.jpeg
    322.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0093.jpeg
    IMG_0093.jpeg
    872.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    617.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0103.jpeg
    IMG_0103.jpeg
    651.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    623.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0106.jpeg
    IMG_0106.jpeg
    598.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0105.jpeg
    IMG_0105.jpeg
    610.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0078.jpeg
    IMG_0078.jpeg
    354.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0038.jpeg
    IMG_0038.jpeg
    876.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    727.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0015.jpeg
    IMG_0015.jpeg
    914.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0016.jpeg
    IMG_0016.jpeg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 15
The pictures (5and 6) could be a squamous cell carcinoma, which is a common type of skin cancer in chickens. Can you any other small ones on her? You might want to separate the nice silkie rooster for awhile, and place him in a pen or dog crate. He may calm down in time. I like having one rooster at a time. They can be rotated of course, but in their first year, they can do a lot of feather damage to the hens, as well as cause a lot of bother.

The pictures (5and 6) could be a squamous cell carcinoma, which is a common type of skin cancer in chickens. Can you any other small ones on her? You might want to separate the nice silkie rooster for awhile, and place him in a pen or dog crate. He may calm down in time. I like having one rooster at a time. They can be rotated of course, but in their first year, they can do a lot of feather damage to the hens, as well as cause a lot of bother.
Hi thanks for the response. No other lesions anywhere, I checked. Her eyes are clear, she has a steady gate and she even can fly up to the roost (I do have a low roost as well if that becomes a problem). Is the SCC from the herpes virus/mareks? Or just straight SCC skin cancer? I feel awful:/. I actually just bought a little stuffed animal chicken to put in the run to see if Dixie might go for itā€¦you know like how puppies hump stuffed animals? Part of his aggression is just trying to hold on to these big hensā˜¹ļø

Thank you for those references. Iā€™m going to reach out to the breeder for further guidance, just to see if heā€™s had any similar reports from any customers in our area in the past year. He also rehomed our other silkie too, so if it IS Marekā€™s, I feel AWFULšŸ˜ž.

Back
Top Bottom