My friend's flock is dying, can you please help?

Merchris

Songster
16 Years
Feb 1, 2008
Good morning everyone,

I'm posting this for my friend who has lost half her flock, about 10 chickens/chicks in the past week. She had purchased two turkens that were about 2 weeks old and added them to her baby chick coop. The two turken babies died suddenly over night about 3 days later, they seemed fine the night before. She has a separate coop for bigger laying chickens which is about 10 feet away from the baby chick coop. Both coops have runs, the little coop for babies has an above ground run to keep them safe. The week previous one of her hens hatched some babies that she put in the baby coop, and after turkens died, those baby chicks started dying. She thought they had coccidosis so she gave the birds corrid right after the turkens died. She only noticed some bloody poo from one chicken. She's also given Save-a-chick and apple cider vinegar to help the situation, just not all at once. Then some of her bigger chicks started dying as well. One of her turkeys died in her arms, she said it seemed like she was having seizures a little bit. All seemed fine, except one bird that was noticeably sick. She's cleaned the coop, bleached it out, changed out all bedding, but she's at a loss and heartbroken. Can you guys possible give some guidance? She said she's losing at least one a day right now. Thank you so much.

The only other thing that I can think of is Mareks Disease that kills that frequently that much. If they were unvaccinated then they are at risk for Mareks. I only purchase vaccinated birds for Mareks Disease. Mareks has life time carrier status so if Mareks then not treatable. Some vaccinate late to see if helps but vaccine not readily available to market. Meyers Hatchery sells vaccine but no data on effectiveness if not vaccinated as a one day old. If Mareks May have in flock each year if some live and are carriers. Only way to tell what is wrong is send a bird that died for necropsy to state lab in your state. They will diagnose the problem so you will know how to treat. As there are many poultry diseases. Call state lab for poultry for how to send bird for necropsy. Best Wishes!

Only way to tell what is wrong is send a bird that died for necropsy to state lab in your state. They will diagnose the problem so you will know how to treat. As there are many poultry diseases. Call state lab for poultry for how to send bird for necropsy. Best Wishes!
State Lab necropsy costs are usually minimal, as long as you use your own in-state lab. Make sure you check their website for time and packing instructions - and DON'T freeze the carcass. Use the fridge!

She had purchased two turkens that were about 2 weeks old and added them to her baby chick coop. The two turken babies died suddenly over night about 3 days later, they seemed fine the night before.

The week previous one of her hens hatched some babies that she put in the baby coop, and after turkens died, those baby chicks started dying. She thought they had coccidosis so she gave the birds corrid right after the turkens died.

She only noticed some bloody poo from one chicken.

She's also given Save-a-chick and apple cider vinegar to help the situation, just not all at once. Then some of her bigger chicks started dying as well. One of her turkeys died in her arms,
Can you get some photos of the chicks, poop and the set-up?
What dosage of Corid did she use and for how long?
Does she have Turkeys (poults) mixed with chicks (chickens)?
What is she feeding?
Any moldy food? Is the food fresh?

How "old" were the "older chicks"?

At 2weeks old, the first thing that comes to mind is Coccidiosis.
Rarely would Marek's been seen at 6weeks of age.
If she keeps losing more, then it would be wise to send the body to your state lab for testing. What state are you in, I can look that up for you.

Again - photos may shed some light on the situation.

I know her food is fresh, I'm texting her to get some photos. We live in Florida. Thank you.

Her friend told her they test for free one time a month or something like that, but I can't seem to find that information.

upload_2019-2-27_14-20-29.jpeg
upload_2019-2-27_14-21-9.jpeg
upload_2019-2-27_14-20-29.jpeg

This Is her little chick coop
upload_2019-2-27_14-28-29.jpeg

This is her big chicken coop. She keeps turkeys in with big chickens and has 2 ducks, now down to 1.

Back
Top Bottom