My frustration with shipped eggs!!

My biggest issue with shipped eggs has been --

1. the eggs were not fertile
2. they have not been the breed that i brought.

It's so hit and miss. Some lots I get from certain sellers develop great! But then other lots, nothing...

I've had some great lots that I killed. If they develop at all (except early blood rings) I consider that on me if I lose them. But these didn't develop at all... not even a speck. I need to learn how to tell if they are fertile I guess. And start checking for that when they arrive?

And these were not lots that the PO kept in transit forever, they were packed well, none broken, aircells all good, GAAAAAAAAA!

Quote:
I have baby Welsummers also! Where did you get yours? I had mine shipped from Estes!

I am not sure it is being shipped that is the problem. We'll see. Those eggs mostly (not all, but many) seemed to develop and when I candled them there were little swimming embryos. I was so excited. And then they didn't hatch.

So perhaps the problem is not the shipping but the incubation, and we will see, because, as I said, Big Momma is sitting on some nice little Serama eggs. They were shipped.

Catherine

I'm with you on the shipped eggs. I had 50 bobwhite quail eggs that shipped to me from only 180 miles away and I hatched 22 chicks. That's a pitiful 44% hatch.
rant.gif

I guess I feel pretty fortunate. Over the last 5 days I have gotten 5 french black copper marans from a shipment of 8 and a seperate shipment of 7. 10 NH and Delaware maran x out of 15 shipped eggs, 5 Lavender Orpingtons only 1 of which was lavender out of 16 shipped eggs, but I am thrilled to get one. And last but not least one peacock out of two shipped eggs. These are the breeds that I really wanted to focus on and no way could I ever find these around here where I live. My stress level over the last few days sky rocketed. I am so glad all the hatching is done and I can enjoy all of my new babies now, LOL.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

This thread doesn't look so promising!! I just bought silkie eggs being shipped from the breeder today. And a dozen mixed batam eggs. Thought I would try my hand at it. I am very nerve now. I want my silkies so bad. It will just break my heart if I don't get them.

I don't think you can put all the blame on the USPS. We got four eggs from RBAMTERRY and we had four hatch... Shipped Priority Mail.

I think you have to take into account that some of the eggs may never have been fertile when they were shipped - it's not all USPS's "fault" - or ours. I say this as a guy currently in lockdown on his very first hatch (assorted bantam cochin frizzles). I figure my eggs were 8 days old by the time my incubator got here and I got them in - add to that the normal novice hatcher little screwups we magnify a million times and I will be estatic if I get 6 out of 16... Estatic

I hope all of you reading this have great hatches.

Quote:
Ok, you know what?

I am wondering if it isn't the shipped eggs, maybe it is ME!

I jumped into hatching (and please, I am not saying this is true for the rest of you), and I did try to do my best, but I was and am a Newbie, and maybe I need a better thermometer and a better hygrometer and not try to do staggered hatches!

Just one bunch at a time and GET EVERYTHING RIGHT!

So try not to be too discouraged, because a lot more comes into play than the shipping!

I am going to try again. But I am going to try better to have all my ducks, um, eggs, in a row.

Catherine

I am so there. I bought 2 dozen eggs from people here. The eggs from one seller arrived perfect, but half were 10 days old or older. The second batch arrived fresh, but 2 were broken, 2 cracked. I paid a young lady I know to hatch them in her sportsman. I have never hatched and thought well she has and she has a nice incubator. The second dozen she dropped half of on the floor and broke them. She called me crying and I just wanted my money back. SHe agreed. On the first batch, by the end I had 3 survivors. By 3 days late I went over and we opened them. 2 had quit on day17 ish and the other was fully developed, yolk absorbed, air sac pipped, and feces in the shell. I was devasted. Then I looked at her incubator. She keep her humidity constant at 80%. So I am thinking they drowned.

So I barrowed an incubator from the extesion office. The seller of the first batch was nice enough to replace them at shipping cost. I ordered Jen's silkies and got my 3 remaining eggs that were supposed to hatch from this girl. I put them all together. MISTAKE! The reamining 3 never pipped. At 3 days late I started to open them. 1 was dead, 2 alive. SO I put the alive ones back in and left them. They died too. I wish now i had helped them out. So far I am out $57 and no chicks.

I have however just ordered 3 dozen more and barrowed another incubator and will try again. If it does not go well, I give up too. I am just hoping for a 25% hatch.

Back
Top Bottom