My goat tore her leg open!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilkieCRZYness

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Florida
THIS IS EDITED NOW THAT IM NOT IN A RUSH, SO PEOPLE DONT UNDERSTAND. I found my goats leg caught and i lifted her up to release her leg from the crack in the top of the feed bin that she always gets up on and set her down. her leg where it was caught has a deep gash and it needs attention so can someone give me some incite what would be best. I dabbed it dry with a cloth, put neasporin on it, wrapped it in a CLEAN cloth, and tape it up. all i had was duck tape and scotch tape and i didnt think that scoth would work so i used duck tape. BUT IM NOT AN IDIOT and just put the tape only on the cloth not on her skin or hair. ALSO i didnt tape it so tight that her leg would not get blood to it and fall off. Im doing what i can with what i have, im trying to help her not hurt her since some people dont get that. I would like to treat it myself and not consult a vet if possible, can yall give me some ideas of what i need to do. thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's cut to the bone you need a vet to stitch it up. Peroxide is bad. It kills too much of the tissues. My vet says to never use peroxide.

With a cut that deep she needs stitches and have it cleaned out. I agree you dont use peroxide on that type of cut, or tear. Is she up to date on her CD/T shots? if not she will need a tetanus shot like now. cool compresses on it will help with the swelling and banamine for pain will help also. Asprin wont help a goat at all. Its hard to really tell you what to do at this time as dont know what or how deep it is. I definately would have a vet look at it and stitch it up and give her a tetanus shot.

I hope your not near me, as I am in north FL and no vets will see goats! She def needs a Tetnus and stitches. Did she severe any arteries? No Peroxide in the future it kills live tissue. Try Betadine instead. goodluck Are you close to Valdosta,GA? Maybe I could help

Don't dry it out!!! and don't use peroxide! Keep it MOIST. Drying it out will kill the tissue & make it impossible to stitch closed! Wet it down & clean it with a gentle soap, if you have nothing else, Ivory works well...and I'd call the vet.

You'll also need to get her on antiobiotic shots, as well as tentanus.

What kind of fencing are you using????

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's been 6-8 hours you've lost the window for stitching, btw.

Call the vet.

She'll need antibiotics and probably a tet booster and the cut could have compromised tendons/tendon sheaths/ligaments if she can't bear any weight at all.

You need to have cotton wrap, sterile nonstick gauze pads, gauze rolls, and Vetwrap/Co-Flex on hand as well as something like Silver Sulfadiazine for wounds (I don't know what works for goats but SS is good for just about everybody and very soothing) at all times, and if you're a ways from a vet, have him give you the appropriate IM painkiller and show you how to administer. Ours gives us one dose already in a syringe with needle attached so anyone who can administer IM (which is not hard to do) can give the medication.

Duct tape is NOT a good idea because it dosen't give and if it's done incorrectly, it's either useless (too loose) or could end up causing her to lose blood flow to her leg (too tight)... resulting in worse injury or amputation if gangrene sets in.

Your best bet is to cold-hose the wound, flush with sterile saline (easiest to get it at the pharmacy- look in the eye-care section) or Betadine solution, and coat it well with ointment, making sure to go over all of the wound and over the edges. Place nonstick gauze pads over the wound, gently secure with gauze rolls, wrap with a thin layer of cotton sheeting and secure with Vetwrap (just snugly, not tight or loose- ideally have the vet show you the tension needed).

Get the vet if you are at all unsure and inexperienced (which it sounds like you are if you had to resort to Neosporin, cloth and duct tape). If you can't get a vet, get an experienced goatkeeper or even someone who is experienced with wounds in animals at all.

Good luck.

Quote:
Dr. alford in live oak florida might do it.. He nueterd one of mine and also saved one of my goats from bloat.. So Stiching it up shouldn't be a prob with him.

Last edited:
Well, first let me say thanks for all the replies. second let me fill you all in. I got home today and checked it out. she looked alot better, came over and eat but still on 3 legs, she is kind of using it but wont put any pressure on it. about the peroxide. i might have saved my butt but not having much left in the bottle to use, bc i put some on a cotton ball and tried to dab clean but i ran out and didnt really get to put much on her. HERES THE THING, im 20 years old in college, and i live by myself and have to feed and take care of all my animals, u can see in my avatar. I 23 dollars for her at an auction about 2 months ago and that all i have in her. i spoil her rotten, but in no way can i afford to have a vet come out and give shots and stitch her up and all. i hope you guys understand and dont think im being crule, im doing the best i can and keeping her spirits high with lots of treats. i have no clue if she has ne shots. i will check tomorrow as it was storming here and i live in SOUTH FLOIRDA not north so unfortuanatly you are to far away to help me with her. i will look at it tom and try to take some pictures if she cooperates. thanks again and ne other tips that i can do for her cheap, i.e. human medication for her i could do that. thanks again chad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom