my goose incubation UPDATE all are hatched... pics of all 3 on pg13

austinhart123

Songster
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Los Angeles CA
day 1: set 6 sebostable X sebostale x ebden mix eggs
day 4: candled for the first time and began misting, candling results, none viable
day 5: misted and candled, candling results, 1 viable
day 6: misted and candled, candling results 3 definite viable, 3 duds
day 7: misted and candled, candling results, same as day six
day 8: misted and candled, candling results, same as day six, cracked and threw away duds
day 9: misted and candled, candling results, 3 viable, veins growing!
day10: misted and candled, candling results, 3 viable.
day11: misted and candled, candling results, 3 viable and eggs getting darker!
day12: misted and candled, candling results, getting hard to see distinct shapes so im going to
buy a better light asap
day13: misted and didn't candle
day14: misted and candled, candling results, getting darker
day15: misted and didnt candle
day16: misted and did not candle
day17: misted and did not candle
day18: misted and candled, candling results, i think i saw a foot kicking! there was alot of movement in the eggs!
day19: misted and did not candle
day20: misted and did not candle
day21: misted and candled, candling results, air sacks are growing
day22: misted and candled, candling results, got a new flashlight, i can see much better the little ones are kicking and moving a
day23: misted and candled, candling results, all are moving and getting ready for friday!
bunch
day24: misted and did not candle
day25: misted and candled, candling results, saw and FELT movement.
--------THE EGGS HAVE BEEN TAKEN OFF THE TURNERS FOR HATCHING----------
day26: misted only
day27: misted only
day28: one has pipped!
day 29: two are pipped, hopefully one hatches tonight or later today

Last edited:
im gunna be such a nerd when ( if
fl.gif
) these eggs are rocking and chirping lol
ya.gif

If you keep candling them every day you will get quitters. Every time you open the bator you let out humidity. Candling once a week is plenty good or open the bator just a crack and take a whiff. If anything smells then you can go and pick themup to smell them. I have lost 9 developed muscovy duck eggs to a bator error/low hum.

I take mine out and mist them and cool them too. Once they start to show devolpment I have never seen losses do to this.

Austin when are yours do to hatch. Mine will hatch between 2/25 and 2/28. I'm getting a lots of movement in the eggs.
clap.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
not until march 6th ( idk if i can wait that long
barnie.gif
...... farmertank, do you have goose eggs or duck eggs, and can we get pics when they hatch?

yes they will be geese, 1/2 Embden-1/2 Toulouse. Yes I will post pics. I'm holding my breath, being only 2 I'm really hoping for 100% hatch.
So I talk to them and encourage them every time I'm misting them. Other than that I will just have to wait.
barnie.gif

I think you understand lol

Julie

How's it going Austin?

I can see lots of devolpment this week. I have the shape of a baby and lots of movement. Thank goodness I work alot, This way I don't bite my nails so much in anticipation.
I'm and operations manager at a Fred's store so my schedule is a mess. But,
For some reason my boss gave me the 27th and 28th of Feb off
celebrate.gif
This should be the days they hatch. I hope so it will be fun to be home. I'm usually at work or sleeping when they hatch.

I have seen people with pics of the egg as it's devolping. I haven't been any good at getting a pic that shows up good. I wish I knew how to do it.

Last edited:
I set mine on the 13th of this month...but at night, so I don't count that day.

So today (18th) they are four days old (until tonight when they'll be 5 days)

I am glad you post this because I have candled them and haven't seen anything today, I thought I saw something but its hard to tell because the light isn't bright enough and its not dark enough in here....I'm gonna wait until sunday though because I did seb's a couple years ago and I didn't get any because I was constantly candling them...but also because I had had duck eggs in there and that might have been a possibility. I am trying to leave these alone so I don't lose any but its so hard because I want to know if they are viable or not. Once I know, I think it'll be easier to stay out of them. Considering the price of sebastopol eggs, I'll experiment later on whether or not candling affects the hatch rate. Right now I just want to hatch these. I guess when I get some sebs and they lay eggs (that means no cost to me) I will run a mini-experiment and candle one incubator often and the other not but once every 10 days and see if it makes a difference. That would be interesting to know.

I like this post and I am going to keep up with it because I want to successfully hatch these....

so did all your seb's die?

Carine

Back
Top Bottom