My heart couldn't handle it.. Now I have 2 roosters

Stynieke

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 24, 2018
Belgium
Hey all,

We have a big chickencoop. I'd say about 250 square meters. We currently have 4 chabo chickens, 2 big ones (can't say race for sure) and 1 cuckoo chicken.
Paired with them we have 1 chabo rooster.

Now, about 5 months or so ago - one of the chabo chickens laid some eggs. We couldn't find them, but suddenly there were 9 little chicks running around. I thought it was rather dangerous to leave them out in the open, so I made a seperate coop under a roof for these chicks with their mom.

Now... 7 of these chicks are roosters. I really bonded with the smallest of them - He's a quiet fella (and more tame) as his brothers were a lot louder etc.
Now the time had come we had to give them away. My dad found a farmer who would take them - And, I'm guessing they'll just kill the roosters or put them away with 50 others in a small coop. Not a good life.

I really wanted to keep the smallest one. As I like him a lot. But I only was allowed to keep 1 rooster in the coop. So tonight we just put all the roosters in boxes as my dad will be moving them to the farmer in the morning. We also put the old rooster in one.
I couldn't help feeling very bad. I never had a connection with him or so, but just the thought of him being in a small coop with so many others - while he gotten used to a big coop - it just killed me.
He was also always nice - he's not tame, but he was good to the other chickens.

So, with my puppy eyes - I convinced my parents to watch and see if the 2 roosters can live together.
I really hope they will, and I have a good feeling about it. I think both of them are really calm, and the coop is big.

What are the chances of them getting along? Both are chabo roosters. Of course you won't know for sure, and I'll just have to find out. BUt had to get this off my chest tonight. I'm happy we could keep them both, but I'd be devestated if I'd have to give one away.

Thanks for listening.

Back
Top Bottom