My hen broke her hip!!

mariaschickens

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 8, 2012

I hope you can see the picture.
My poor little hen has broke her hip. I have no idea what to do. Shes been in the house for a week now and has adapted very well. She is apparently not in alot of pain anymore. Shes been hopping around on one leg like nothing ever happened.
The only thing that I worry about is that her leg might not ever get well enough for her to go back out with her friends. I dont know how this happened in the first place...she is a full size hen but she lives with my banties and silkies, so i dont think her "boyfriend " hurt her. She is a wonderful bird, and a pet. She still lays an egg a day and is very social and alert. I know shes going stir crazy.
I really need advice from someone who has dealt with this before, and how to help her recover without surgery. I would like to keep her and eventually put her back outside.
PLEASE HELP ME .........

An educated guess. She cant bare any weight on it and when I was giving her a look over and feeling her up i noticed that she has a pertrusion at her hip only on that one side.

Hmmm.... When she puts her foot down does the pertrusion go away? Could just be cause shea holding up her foot and tht could be cause of bumble foot or frost bite on the bottom of her foot. I had one of mine hopping around on one leg cause a toe nail was falling off lol

No bumbles, no frost bite, no tender toes or nails....and no, the protrusion does not go away when her leg is straightened. Unfortunately i cant find anything else wrong with her.

Aw /: I'd say she needs rest and tender love n care. She may heal on her own but never be the same. But I'd let her heal up for a month an then slowly reintroduce her to the flock and cross fingers :)

I will do my best...i love her so much. I will let her heal and then worry about what to do. I just wish i could make that leg mobile again.

Have you considered a "chick chair"...?

Chickenzoo has an amazing diagram of a chick chair...maybe pm her and she can post the diagram to you...

I have used one here for a debilitated chicken

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom