My hen is causing a disaster

Yes! I do have a rooster and she is currently with him, every time she leaves the nesting box he'll fertilize her. So yes the eggs are fertile. The only reason I dont let her eggs hatch is because her mixed breed has a tendency of being aggressive and not having good temper.
Nothing says she has to hatch HER eggs. If you have fertile eggs from other hens who have good traits you like, you can put those eggs under her instead.

I do have some eggs that are about to hatch. Is there anything else I can do in the meantime?
Just watch her I guess. If she is on any eggs, you might want to let her sit. If not, get her a wooden egg to keep her in the chick raising spirit. Side note: look at my chickens they are so cute 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    341.2 KB · Views: 4
Just watch her I guess. If she is on any eggs, you might want to let her sit. If not, get her a wooden egg to keep her in the chick raising spirit. Side note: look at my chickens they are so cute 😊
Aww they're so cute! I love the color. I actually did put a round rock under her and it did help but I took it away in fear that she'll stay in the nesting box forever, so I will definitely put something underneath

Nothing says she has to hatch HER eggs. If you have fertile eggs from other hens who have good traits you like, you can put those eggs under her instead.
I put one egg from my silkie and she immediately adjusted it under her. She seems happy and I haven't disturbed her or anything. Thanks for the idea, she has had a chick before and she took very good care of it, so i'm sure she'll be a good mom. When do you think I can introduce the chick to the others once its bigger? Or should I separate it from the other chicks? Thanks.

I put one egg from my silkie and she immediately adjusted it under her. She seems happy and I haven't disturbed her or anything. Thanks for the idea, she has had a chick before and she took very good care of it, so i'm sure she'll be a good mom. When do you think I can introduce the chick to the others once its bigger? Or should I separate it from the other chicks? Thanks.
I let my broodies do the introducing....and I'd give her a couple more eggs. Single chicks have a rough life if something happens to mama or when mama decides she's done. Mama will (or at least should) protect babies. I have one who hatched out on the hillside last summer, brought babies into the coop when she left the nest. She was an only chick herself and mama was killed when she was 3 weeks. My Storm cloud is a fantastic mama.
20230811_190545.jpg
The babies abandoned her.....at several months. By then, my flock queen passed, and Storm, passing 8 older hens, took the crown. Prior, the older hens had been above her in pecking order. Broodies aren't to be messed with.

How many eggs do you have in the incubator, that are due to hatch at the same time?

Like JacinLarkwell said, just give her the eggs! Provided there aren't more than she can fit on like NatJ is asking about.

Much better to have a fully integrated lot of chicks and a happy hen than to spread them out. Make sure the broody area is safe for the chicks, that they wouldn't just fall out to the ground from high up or anything, and that it's safe from predators. Snakes and rats and even ants all go after chicks!
* We had a horrible time with fire ants here in FL, now we take the broody and her eggs to a safe and secure brooder days before the hatch, but make the move at nighttime so she settles quickly.

Back
Top Bottom