My hen is constantly clicking w/ every breath

sweetdreaming

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 24, 2013
La Feria, TX
Hi, a couple of weeks ago I had a hen who started clucking constantly w/ every breath. Like she had an expiration-only airway obstruction. It improved when roosting at night. She ate and drank and layed eggs normally. Since she was the only one out of 5 different pens, I just watched her. It didn't get worse, but didn't improve either until, alas, one morning she was dead! Well, I now have another hen from the same flock doing the same thing!!! It's super hot here (I'm in South TX), and they're all stressed, and I'm trying to keep them all cool. Any ideas what's causing this airway problem? Thanks!!

Sorry for your loss. A clicking sound can be common in chickens having respiratory distress. I have seen it with subcutaneous emphysema, but it can occur with a respiratory disease such as MG, coryza, ILT, infectious bronchitis, and others. A heart ailment could also cause this if there was respiratory distress as well. Here is a good link about those and other diseases that has symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Back
Top Bottom