My hen is limping. Help!

JPichler

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 18, 2011
West Central, WI
I have a one year old hen that is limping. She seems to be fine otherwise. She's eating, drinking, foraging and laying. I have inspected her a couple of times and I can't seem to find anything wrong. What are the causes of limping? Any suggestions of what to look for? She is a Silver Laced Wyandote. Thank you for reading:)

More than likely she just strained something if you can't find any obvious injuries, broken bones, or bumblefoot. Just recently on Easter morning, my 3 yr old white rock came out of the run limping heavily on one foot. She wouldn't even walk...would just lay down in the yard. I couldn't find anything wrong with her either. I separated her for a day so she could rest her leg, gave her some extra treats and vitamins (found that idea on here). I put her back with the flock the next day. She was still limping, but within a week, there was no sign of a limp. I did lower her roost (she's my top hen and roosted fairly high) and put a thick layer of sand on the coop floor to cushion her landing....she's a big girl! Although she was not happy that roost was moved, she has been limp free since!! Good luck with your girl!
smile.png

Try separating her from the rest of the flock to let her rest until she can walk on it again. I had a RIR limping and I had to separate her for about 3 weeks but she fully recovered and is fine. You wouldn't even know she was ever hurt. As with prior post recommendation, vitamins are a good idea! Good luck!

I've an han in the same situation, limp but nothing is wrong apparently, my vet said, probably a bacterium or sore throat...and now I'm administering an antibiotic and cortisone, I would help her with vitamins too, wich kind of vitamins can I buy please?

I've an han in the same situation, limp but nothing is wrong apparently, my vet said, probably a bacterium or sore throat...and now I'm administering an antibiotic and cortisone, I would help her with vitamins too, wich kind of vitamins can I buy please?
Did your vet actually see the hen? Did they prescribe the antibiotic and cortisone? A limp can be caused by bumblefoot, a staph infection of the foot pad that is characterized by a dark dot on the foot. It could also be from a sprain or break. Then there can be more serious issues such as mycoplasma synovitis(MS) that can infect the joints or viral arthritis. MS is a chronic disease that can make carriers of the whole flock. Most feed stores sell poultry vitamins, and Avian Super Pack is a good one online.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom