My hen is sick and I don't know what is wrong

starrmar006

Songster
6 Years
Jan 10, 2017
Western WA, USA
I have a 2-3 year old wellsummer hen that is sick and has been for a week now. She is droopy and always looks cold her eyes are half open. She barely moves and hasn't layed and egg this week, her comb is a pale pink. I don't know what is wrong. Can I please have some help.

I have a 1 yr old game hen that is also ill with similar symptoms. All my hens encircled her just now and acted like they were going to peck her to death. I ran them off. It was disheartening. All I know to do is treat for cocci and stick a finger up the vent to check for obstruction. I haven't seen any evidence of worms or mites. I am giving her a .25 mil dose of 9.6% corid directly with syringe. I dosed the flock's water with 9.5 ml 9.6% corid per gallon. Honestly, though, I think she has a deeper set issue. She was sickly last fall, late to lay, and her comb stayed pale and now looks a bit purplish. The doses of corid aren't really picking her up, but I will continue for now. Have you checked her over, looked at her poop, crop , vent ,etc.? Pictures can be worth more than words in this instance. We need a little more to go on. My hen's vent is unobstructed, but her vent area is bare of feathers. She has not been eating well and seems to poop mostly green as if all she wants is grass or she is cancerous. I can't tell that she is drinking much either.

Last edited:
I have a 1 yr old game hen that is also ill with similar symptoms. All my hens encircled her just now and acted like they were going to peck her to death. I ran them off. It was disheartening. All I know to do is treat for cocci and stick a finger up the vent to check for obstruction. I haven't seen any evidence of worms or mites. I am giving her a .25 mil dose of 9.6% corid directly with syringe. I dosed the flock's water with 9.5 ml 9.6% corid per gallon. Honestly, though, I think she has a deeper set issue. She was sickly last fall, late to lay, and her comb stayed pale and now looks a bit purplish. The doses of corid aren't really picking her up, but I will continue for now. Have you checked her over, looked at her poop, crop , vent ,etc.? Pictures can be worth more than words in this instance. We need a little more to go on. My hen's vent is unobstructed, but her vent area is bare of feathers. She has not been eating well and seems to poop mostly green as if all she wants is grass or she is cancerous. I can't tell that she is drinking much either.
Her Poop is normal looking, ill take pictures tomorrow when I have time

Back
Top Bottom