My hen is sick

beckym1619

Chirping
Aug 16, 2016
I followed directions on this site for unpacked egg. Could not feel anything but still gave her a warm bath to relax her and blow dried her dry
Gave her bits of a tum for calcium
All last night
Today she is weaker I put her by her water and had to go to work
At noon she is no better
Should I get some nutri drench and eye dropper to get her some energy?
I do not want to lose her my chickens are pets

Nutri drench will not hurt, and may help, but if you can provide some more information you will get more suggestions. How old is she? How long has she been sick? Was she laying regularly before this, what makes you think she's egg bound? Is she pooping, and are they normal looking?
Is she eating and drinking, and is her crop normal, or does it feel very hard, soft, squishy, full, empty? Have you checked her over for lice/mites or any injuries hidden in feathers? How is her weight, is her keel bone well muscled, or is the bone prominent? Any discharge from the nose/beak/eyes? Sorry for all the questions, but the more info available the better people can make some suggestions.

Nutri drench will not hurt, and may help, but if you can provide some more information you will get more suggestions. How old is she? How long has she been sick? Was she laying regularly before this, what makes you think she's egg bound? Is she pooping, and are they normal looking?
Is she eating and drinking, and is her crop normal, or does it feel very hard, soft, squishy, full, empty? Have you checked her over for lice/mites or any injuries hidden in feathers? How is her weight, is her keel bone well muscled, or is the bone prominent? Any discharge from the nose/beak/eyes? Sorry for all the questions, but the more info available the better people can make some suggestions.

She is three years old and this is the second day she is sick
I thought she was egg bound as her tail is down , her poop is yellow and runny, she sits huddled with puffy feathers. Her crop is soft and mushy. I have 3 chickens polish silver laced and they each lay an egg every other day I know not great layers but pretty and friendly

Also weather is normal Northern Wi weather . Treats sometimes lettuce, celery, cracked corn and oats . They all have chicken pellets for laying hens .
They are able to free range when we are home

I'm so sorry you lost her. :hugs At 3 years old reproductive problems are not uncommon. It could have been infection, internal laying, or even a cancer, and the majority of the time treatments are temporary at best. A necropsy is often the only way to get definite answers. So sorry.

Back
Top Bottom