My hen is very lethargic and keeps drinking water.

sidney

Chirping
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
hmm.png
I noticed my Americana hen was staying close to the coop while the others were foraging. The next day, I picked her up and squeezed her crop and all this liquid with food came out. Her crop was not hard and not enlarged. I squeezed several times until most of it came out. I squeezed her vent area and below and did not feel any hard masses. She pooped when I put her down and it was watery and had some green stuff in it. I gave her some antibiotic and a drop of ivomec below her neck. Today, she's in her coop just drinking water continuiously. What causes a chicken to drink so much water?
When I picked her up, her weight seemed normal. She's 3 yrs old. I'm worried. My other chickens have just started to lay eggs again. They're all 3 or 4 years old so they haven't layed any eggs since october.

sounds like her crop is blocked. she may keep drinking water thinking it will unblock it. try searching for blocked crop and see what you might do. good luck.

:thumbsupThank you for the advice. I think it was a blocked crop. I massaged her crop and gave her some olive oil and today she jumped out of her coop when I opened the door. I gave her another massage today and more olive oil. Her crop was full of liquid before and today it was pretty empty. Just some scratch and a little liquid. Thanks for the advice.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom