My hen is walking sideways, has lost weight and seems to be in a continuous molting pattern

Bizzie

Hatching
Oct 25, 2015
I believe my hen is an Australorp. I inherited her and a year old Rhode Island Red and an Amrock. The little Rhode Island Red died last month. I took her to the vet and he couldn't find a thing wrong with her. Basically she became lethargic and lost weight suddenly. Now my Australorp (age unknown) is losing weight and she is walking sideways like she cannot keep her balance. I am not aware that she was injured in any way. There's no evidence of that. In May of this year she began to molt. She finally started getting her feathers back on her neck, chest and around the bottoms of her legs in late July and August. But she's still losing feathers now in October on her sides, her bottom and her wings. There's also this raised "thing" on her skin at her tailbone that she keeps pecking. It's not bloody or anything. She lays every other day. I feed them non-GMO chicken feed, and supplement their diet with organic greens, cabbage, tomatoes, dried meal worms, egg shells, grit, scrambled eggs occasionally, and other veggies chopped up. It's been terribly dry here in Texas so the bugs they usually eat are not plentiful at all.
It's been raining finally for 4 days straight so they are spending most of their days in their coop or under the back porch. I keep fresh dry hay in their coop. There hasn't been much to forage in my backyard. I just don't know what more to do. Oh, I did put some diatomaceous earth on her and in their pen in case there's mites, although they regularly use the ash pit I have for them in the backyard. My yard is about 1/4 acre and now I only have two chickens. Thanks for any help you can give to me. These girls are more like pets to me. Kim

I noticed that nobody has had a solution for you. Perhaps more information is needed. Hopefully you have done some research in the disease section of BYC and tried some of the suggested remedies. Most particularly check out the Marek's link because "imbalance" could be caused by paralysis of certain muscles. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Hope to find out if you found a solution.

Welcome to BYC, btw.

Back
Top Bottom