My Hen "sissy spacek," may have lost an eye.. see pic(s)

JBarringerNC

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina

This is my beloved hen named "sissy spacek," -- she's about 8 months old. very tame and has the best personality of all the backyard flock.

Yesterday I noticed her eye was shut and I took a wash rag and warm water, after I got the eye "booger" off of it she tried to open it.

Today, it's just as bad if not worse than yesterday.
The picture above was just taken a few minutes ago, it's oozing out a white puss. We got some eye drops put in it luckily, she tries to open it after we put the drops in (but it looks like the eyeball was in the back of her eye socket)

Could this puss be from her getting poked in the eye? --- or is it more than irritated eye, could it be something worse?

She's acting as normal as always; dust baths, eating just as much and drinking water normally.
When she wipes her face alongside her wing after we put the drops in I noticed the puss/goo sticks to her wing where her eye was wiped against it.

** Has anyone had this happen ?
What was the outcome and if it got better, how long did it take?

This could be a peck injury, but could also be a case of eyeworm. I would put some erythromycin , terramycin, or neosporin ointment into the eye since injury is more likely. The swelling should go down in a week or so, then you can tell if the eye is okay or not. Eyeworm is not that common, but chickens can scratch their eyes out from the itching.

Where can i buy those ointments?
In Charlotte NC there's not many options of Farm Suppliers locally.. believe it or not. (we have a Tractor Supply but that's about the only farm supply that sells medications for poultry, etc.)

I've got regular old Neosporin Ointment, but I seen somewhere on here that you can't use the 'pain relieving' ointments.. Is this right?

Where can I buy these:
erythromycin , terramycin
Ointments?
Are they specifically for poultry & livestock?

~Thanks,

I tried flushing it out and applying neosporin but it looks worse today. her eye has white pus all inside of it, it almost seems like it's hard because I couldn't wipe it off.

I just ordered terramycin eye ointment but it won't be here until Wednesday. In the meantime, I've read where people have removed the pus where it turned into a hard mass. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to remove a pus mass from a chickens eye?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom