My hens are bald from the rooster?

terry's chicks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Feb 15, 2011
All their feathers on their back 1/3, also under tail and butt area? I'm sure it's from the rooster. There is one rooster with 20 hens. Only 6 or the 20 are like this, then because it's bright pink the other hens peck on them. I have used the blue antesptic spray but in 2 days it's all gone and same thing, I can't afford to buy a can a week or able to catch the chickens everyday and spray them. The are in a fairly large run (not free range) it's about 20x30'. I've heard there are things you can put on the hens to protect them but have no idea how that would work?

You can buy hen saddles; have seen a seller here on BYC for as little as $2.50 including shipping. I bought a hen with a saddle on as she was molting and it protected her from the roosters. Roosters do have their favorites and those girls get far more attention than most of the other girls.

Also, you might give a look for lice, if you haven't already done so. IF lice are present , use Sevin to dust the girls. I tried ivermectin but that didn't work on the lice that eats feathers.

I would watch the chickens to see who is doing the picking. It may be some of the other female chickens. It is with mine. They even picked bald the butt of my rooster. Good luck. We too use blue kote, although it lasts about a week or more for us.

Back
Top Bottom