MY HENS BUTT IS RAW AND RED, WHAT IS IT?????

I've used the desitin/tums paste for two days now and I think I'm starting to see some improvement. I really think it was the left overs I fed them, I think she got real irritated. My ladies will only get layer feed, oatmeal and an occassional yogurt from now on. (does the oatmeal have to be cooked???)A couple of times a week I throw some cracked corn. What is scratch and when do I need to start giving it to them?
Never heard of adding apple cider vinegar to the water, but hey, I'll try anything. I know it works great for strep/sore throatson people. But this site is for chickens and we're talking about the other end! Haha (sorry couldn't resist)
yuckyuck.gif

Thanks again folks for all your help.

Glad to hear you think she's improving. I don't cook the oatmeal that I give them and they love it. I know some people do cook it for them tho. Scratch is just a mixture of different grains....usually milo, cracked corn, oats, etc. I add black oil sunflower to mine. It needs to be fed only as a treat tho and not their main food.

SOLUTION:

1. if your chickens have a red bare butt then it can mean two things. The first problem may be that she is lacking calcium. Chickens who don't get enough of it tend to have these problems. You can give then calcium by crushing eggshells or better yet, give them crushed oyster shells.
smile.png

2. Chicken poop is very acidity and when the chickens lay on it, makes there bums irritated or/and bald. I suggest you should keep it clean and get some bars in your coop.

I just noticed a few days ago my barred rock has a really red chapped butt. I am going to try some of your ideas. Don't know what I would do without you guys since I am new at all of this!!! Thanks SO MUCH

Two of my girls have red-butt and feathers missing everywhere on them and others... The only one who is okay (for now) is the red star... They all lay... They all seem okay - there is oyster shell for them always.... IDK - I have read most of the posts - I can dust for mites but I don't see any on them... I think it's molt also - I am new to this and so I put a heat lamp in the coop (it's small) and kept it way up and away from them but I think this started molt sooner than it should have ... next winter I will probably NOT use a heat lamp (I'm a sucker and wanted them not to be too cold :l !! ) Neck feathers are missing - back near tail - sides... They look just like one girl said - like they exploded!!!

I was up to Roots auction and LOTS of the hens had the same issue(sexlinks). They all looked glossy, fat, had tail feathers, saw no indications of lice alert but their behinds were swollen like softball size and red/raw! Needless to say I will wait for another batch before I buy. My hens get lots of tomatoes, fruits & veggies (but not lettuce come to think on it) daily & no issue. I have put out a call for info & will apprise if I get any other answers. One gal did say battery cages & intensive farming issues could be a problem.

My barred rock has the same issue. I don't know what it is either. It looks really sore, but she's not acting like she's in pain. I do have a damp spot in the coop from a leak or condensation that I've been trouble shooting and she likes to sleep in that corner so it might be from damp bedding, like a diaper rash. I'd love to hear if you found a solution.

Back
Top Bottom