My hens have almost all stopped laying...

My hens laying patterns have been strange too (kstaven
we in the same part of the world) Last week i was averaging 2-4 a day from 8 hens then for a couple days 1-2 yesterday 7
big_smile.png
today back to 2 . I supplement light, but I also feed veggie scraps pretty much everyday.

My 8 month old white leghorns are still going strong! With 21 hens, I'm still getting 18-21 eggs daily. I have a light on a timer that goes on at 4:30 am and off at 7 am. The other day, I got 22 eggs! When I feed them, I put sunflower seeds and cracked corn on the bottom of their feeding trough, and the layer pellets on top. That way, they eat the corn and sunflower seeds later in the day when the pellets are gone to help keep them warm. Dan
wee.gif

Morning all, I'm new to this site, but was hoping for help. Live in Tucson. Have 2 coops. Total right now 5 chickens-e in one and 2 in the other. The 2 were given to me from the rehab bird center here and a client that didn't wnat her bird to be alone. The others raised from babies. I have never had a problem with the girls laying, know whos laying because they are all different. None of them are laying now. I haven't changed anything. They get lettuce, grapes, and shredded carrots every morning along with their laying crumbles and scratch and water. We have a hot wire around each coop so the coyotes and hawks and owls can't get them . Any suggestions?? I've put a light in the back one its for 12 hours, should I make it 14? So sad, no eggs. I even had to buy some and haven't had to buy any in 10 years--Thanks for the advice.
sad.png
D.gif

Howdy guys....I'm brand new to the message board. I'm having trouble with my hens laying also. Strange that everyone else is too. I just put a rooster with my five hens(I had eight...it's a sad story...especially for the coons that ate my chickens)...I thought maybe the rooster had them so nervous they weren't laying. I'm going to try adding some more light. I had read that before. I'm only getting one egg every other day.....there are feathers everywhere, I assume they're molting. Anyway....I've enjoyed reading the posts, I'm very glad I found you guys....
smile.png

I have 12 hens, and haven't had a single egg in nearly two weeks...and typically someone asked if i'd sell them eggs today.

Since my last post I have talked with a lot of chicken people in the area. It seems everyone around here is in the same boat. OLD TIMERS say it is a sign of a hard cold winter coming.

Well everyone...... I must have the luck of the Irish on my side. The weather here has gotten quite cold we have had several days of frost and several days near freezing the last 2-3 weeks. We have 10 RIR hens that lay 7-10 eggs a day, 9 BSL hens and 6 SLW laying 7-12 eggs a day. Perhaps they are extra happy to be in their new huge coop? For those of you who have had to buy those gross store bought eggs, give mne a holler. I'd be more than willing to send you a few dozen yummy fresh brown eggs......for only $1.50 a dozen + shipping.........lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=3809

So far so good with my girls.. got 10 eggs from 10 layers three days ago.. then 8. Today seemed to be down to six, but that could just be because the majority of the girls are still new to laying.

Now you are making me nervous! LOL!

Meghan

Back
Top Bottom