My hens stopped laying. Eggs thru winter?

amiachicknorwat

Songster
7 Years
Aug 3, 2015
Hi, was getting 2 eggs then 4 eggs. Got about 35 hens, usually get a dozen or more per day. Not sure all have come into laying age as yet. turned on lights daily since the birds stopped laying. Haven't been altogether consistent in timing the lights unfortunately since dont have a working timer. Does anybody know tricks to keep them laying thru winter? Are there any? Is it a ridiculous expectation? I wouldn't think so, but beginning to wonder. Thanks, Nick of the North (Canadian Rockies)

Hi, was getting 2 eggs then 4 eggs. Got about 35 hens, usually get a dozen or more per day. Not sure all have come into laying age as yet. turned on lights daily since the birds stopped laying. Haven't been altogether consistent in timing the lights unfortunately since dont have a working timer. Does anybody know tricks to keep them laying thru winter? Are there any? Is it a ridiculous expectation? I wouldn't think so, but beginning to wonder. Thanks, Nick of the North (Canadian Rockies)
A dozen eggs out of 35 hens isn't too good either.
Timed lighting can work, if properly applied, yes....inconsistent light can really screw things up, stop that until you get a working timer!
Even with properly applied lighting, the older birds will still most likely molt, they don't lay while molting, and need extra protein to get thru molting faster.

Much more info would be needed to know why you birds aren't laying and what might possibly be done about it.
How old are the birds?
Breeds of birds?
How much space do they have in coop and run...in feet by feet.
Do they free range ...if so, how much?
What and how exactly are you feeding.

If the days are shorter than 14 hours days, odds are, they won't lay during that time, however,unless you really need the eggs rn, I would suggest not doing the lights at night. The birds naturally need this time off, otherwise you could end up stressing the birds and messing up egg production in the future

Back
Top Bottom