My hens won't lay in the Coop.

Sparkleyhead

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 14, 2013
I have 2 hens that have just started laying and they refuse to lay in the coop. They not only refuse to lay in the coop, but they make a full on jail break from the run and head to the bushes in the front yard right against the house. I haven't had this issue with any of my other hens. I've seen both of them go in the coop and sit on other eggs, and then leave and lay somewhere else.

I know some people say to lock them in the coop, but I can't do that. My coop is small and only holds 8 birds. It is for sleeping in at night and laying eggs. Plus it's been obnoxiously hot here and I'd have roast chicken for dinner if I did that. But I have fake eggs out there, nesting boxes are always kept clean and I try to keep it cool with a fan. I'm not sure how to make the coop anymore inviting. Suggestions?

Also their wings have been clipped and I have a blockade in front of the gate. But to no avail. They are hell bent on getting out.

Wish someone with experience would reply, my flock are confined. I have seen some posts get attention when the thread started adds replays like "someone" " anybody" " please someone comment" try this. It brings your post back to the new posts and perhaps more attention???? Bet someone has dealt with this before.

You have already described a coop that may not be inviting (feeling safe and private for a new laying hen--that may not be welcomed AT ALL, by the resident owners of the coop and NESTS.) They are laying "out" because it is the nature of most hens, to want her own space for her eggs. THEN cancel that statement with most of our experiences with hens that have their favorite nest box in the coop--and will come in trom free range (most often) to leave their egg--and only one or two nest boxes are necessary for 6-8 hens!. This is most common for hens that are not "setter breeds". Your new hens may not fit this scenario. Hens, even in large flocks, are INDIVIDUALS.)

So, you will have to be creative and meantime, locate the nesting spots outside, and do not let any eggs stay there overnight--will attract varmits and you will want to know "who is laying where"!!!!! Good luck....

You have already described a coop that may not be inviting (feeling safe and private for a new laying hen--that may not be welcomed AT ALL, by the resident owners of the coop and NESTS.) They are laying "out" because it is the nature of most hens, to want her own space for her eggs. THEN cancel that statement with most of our experiences with hens that have their favorite nest box in the coop--and will come in trom free range (most often) to leave their egg--and only one or two nest boxes are necessary for 6-8 hens!. This is most common for hens that are not "setter breeds". Your new hens may not fit this scenario. Hens, even in large flocks, are INDIVIDUALS.)

So, you will have to be creative and meantime, locate the nesting spots outside, and do not let any eggs stay there overnight--will attract varmits and you will want to know "who is laying where"!!!!! Good luck....
Ditto that! .....could be that the new layers are being bullied away from the nests by the older birds.

Sounds like you may need more room, more ventilation and a more secure run.

Wow I feel bad because I haven't looked on here for a while! Anyway all the girls have themselves sorted out. The two problem birds actually started laying in the coop not too long after I wrote that post. They have 6 nesting boxes to choose from and everyone is happy :)

Back
Top Bottom