My hens won't let one on the roost!

mrcush

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2012
Southeast Michigan
Question for anyone that can help. One of my chickens is molting (actually I think 3 of the 4 are) and the one we noticed molting first, the other's are picking on her and won't let her on the roost. Or maybe she doesn't want to get on the roost. Either way, has anyone ever had this problem?

How long is thier roost? It might be because you need more room for their roosts. Each chicken needs one to two feet of roost for themsevles,so if they do not have enough room, they might be fighting over the roost.
Good luck!
smile.png

Molting doesn't usually change chicken behavior so I think it must be something else. I you have time one evening at dusk up her up there then watch or listen to what happens, Then at least you will know if they are chasing her down or she is getting off the roost on her own for some reason.

We have a hen (hatched 3/1/13) that roosts on the top of the nest box lid. and we have to go out and put her into the coop every night. She is not the lowest hen in the flock but even so, once she is in the coop she doesn't go up on the high roost on her own. If we take the time to put her up there she will stay, she just seems to prefer the lower roost...We chalk it up to her being a crazy chicken.

Thanks aggiemae. That's funny you say this because I have put her on the roost the past couple nights and this morning before I opened the run I checked and she was still up there. But she still is not getting up herself. Does anyone know what the average length of a molt is?

Thanks aggiemae. That's funny you say this because I have put her on the roost the past couple nights and this morning before I opened the run I checked and she was still up there. But she still is not getting up herself. Does anyone know what the average length of a molt is?
The average length of a molt is 14 to 16 weeks.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom