My horde of ducks

They're so pretty. I am raising mu first flock :)got 5 from tsc 2 look like runners they're skinny 1 light brown one a dark brown almost black, she's our sweetest she climbs into my hands to be held, 2 look like mallards or Rouen and 1 we are stumped on he was black with a yellow belly a little yellow on the face, his feet are yellow with black patches I was thinking black Swedish, now his neck is turning white on the black with black spots in it and he has out grown everyone else he's 2 or 3 times bigger they all get along well and love human interaction. They will have to go outside soon he can look out of the tub now when he stands up we let them run around in the floor to stretch those cute legs and run around but they always stay close to me I think I have been adopted as momma duck they preen me and call for me its adorable ducklings are so much fun ours are pet and hopefully egg only

My wife insists I sell some of the drakes in favour of having more females in the herd ... I bought them as unsexed week old ducklings... I know there are at least 2 runners there along with my Cayuga ... what the others are is almost a mystery but the seller insisted they are welsh harlequins

My wife insists I sell some of the drakes in favour of having more females in the herd ... I bought them as unsexed week old ducklings... I know there are at least 2 runners there along with my Cayuga ... what the others are is almost a mystery but the seller insisted they are welsh harlequins
if you have more drakes than ducks, it can cause over mating and can hurt the ducks

Very pretty ducks. I think with that many drakes you should sell your female and just run a male flock. Each drakes needs around 3-5 females to prevent injury and over breeding. What a stunning flock though!

Do you want eggs, meat, or pets?

If pets, just sell the one female and run a drake flock. If meat, you have plenty of drakes, and you REALLY need to get that drake/duck ratio down. If you want eggs and don't want to send any of the boys to freezer camp, then I'd say sell off most of the drakes and replace them with ducks. With 7 ducks, you'd be MUCH better off with only one or two drakes and the rest ducks.

If it were my flock (and it's not), I need eggs. I'd sell all the males but my favorite and buy ducks (either mature ducks, or sexed ducklings). But that's me, and your needs may vary.
smile.png

At this point only the cayuga has touched her ... the other drakes are for sale atm ... at worst they will end up as my neighbours dinner !!
I want to breed her as i have done with other ducks i have had over the years and sold off the ducklings

Back
Top Bottom