My injured duck...

PirateGirl

Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist
6 Years
Mar 11, 2017
South Park, Colorado, USA
When I locked up my ducks two nights ago one of my girls stumbled and hurt her leg on the way in. She couldn't stand. She wouldn't use her leg at all. I put her in the straw in her house and decided I'd give her a more thorough exam the next day, while it was light out. I was devastated and could not sleep. All I could think about was how if she couldn't heal I'd have to put her down. I've had losses in my flocks, but have yet to cull any of my birds. She is one of my first ducks and quite sweet and definitely pet status. I know it is my responsibility to take care of my flock, and a duck with a broken leg does not have a good life if it cannot regain use of it. I decided I would give her a week to try and see some improvement and mulled over different culling techniques preparing for the worst case scenario.

Day two in the morning she still could not stand or use her leg at all. She scooted outside on her belly with the flock and wanted food and water, so I took that as a good sign. My sweet drake was very concerned and would not leave her side. He just kept laying down pressed up against her and nuzzling her. I need to share these moments with people because drakes get a bad rap, and while they can be a menace during breeding season, they really do look out for their ladies.

I got home from work and my husband had already opened the gate. I expected to see all the ducks out and about and my injured girl left behind in the pen, but nope, there were ALL the ducks happily splashing and noodling in the mud (we're having a major snow meltdown and the mud is out of control). My injured duck was walking around with the rest of the flock and enjoying the muck as if nothing had ever happened!

I just wanted to share with those who might appreciate it. I don't think my coworkers will ever quite understand how worried I was and how upsetting the thought of potentially culling one of my ducks myself was. I'm am thrilled that she is back to normal!

@chickens really yes, she is a layer, I've only been getting about one duck egg a week from 5 girls, so I'm really not sure who is actually laying now. My other thought was something that might have been dislocated that worked it's way back into place. She literally went from laying on the ground holding her foot up trembling to walking around like nothing happened in the course of a day. A pinched nerve could certainly do something like that. Do you think she would be prone to have it happen again in future? I could make a little ramp so she doesn't have to climb over the lip to go in/out if it would help.

@chickens really yes, she is a layer, I've only been getting about one duck egg a week from 5 girls, so I'm really not sure who is actually laying now. My other thought was something that might have been dislocated that worked it's way back into place. She literally went from laying on the ground holding her foot up trembling to walking around like nothing happened in the course of a day. A pinched nerve could certainly do something like that. Do you think she would be prone to have it happen again in future? I could make a little ramp so she doesn't have to climb over the lip to go in/out if it would help.
Definitely and fat Duck hens have issues more with laying. Maybe change feed to a less protein feed. 16% is good. I feed Grower finisher.

I'll have to see if she feels overweight. She might be. She's pretty large, but close in size to the other girls of the same breed. I can certainly switch feeds if needed. In summer they get out and are more active and get to forage (and swim) more, but in winter I can see them packing on a bit of extra weight easily. Perhaps I should do different feed in winter vs. summer. I hadn't really thought much about that before.

Back
Top Bottom