My Intro

sonicsteve3

Hatching
Apr 25, 2016
Michigan
Hi,

My name is Steve. I have raised chickens for a total of about 6 years. I have White Brahmas, Araucanas (Easter egg chicken) and Australorps with a few ducks in addition to the chickens......and also some rabbits. I suppose I am a lot like many of you. I raise these animals because I really enjoy it. I do also raise them for meat, which I don't enjoy that part as much, but I do enjoy the meat, so I guess it all works out.

I have a 250 egg incubator which crapped out on me last year about 3 days before the hatch, so I have the parts to repair it now, I just need to find the time to do it. I'll start collecting eggs to hatch soon and then I'll be on the clock to get it working, so that is usually what makes me get things done is when I have to......considering all that I am doing outside of chickens, ducks and rabbits. I also have a small orchard, vineyard, cultivating mushrooms, keeping bees and I'm building a greenhouse and a brooder building and getting my seedlings ready to get planted at the end of May it is just how things go this time of year....do what needs being done until something else needs to be done more.

I've a wife and two young boys at home to top it all off, so it is all so exciting to be figuring out ow to make it all work together.....yes it really is exciting!

I'm looking forward to learning from all the great folks here and hope I can add some value as well.

Chickens are what started me down this path I'm on and though it might sound busy it really is awesome to have the knowledge and know how to do these things - learning as I go. Something I think is undervalued is keeping and perpetuating what our fathers and grandfathers (mothers too!) had to pass down.

That's it I guess -- Nice meeting all of you!!

smile.png
Once you post 150 times, or something like that, it changes to that. Just like yours says New Egg right now.
smile.png

Hi Steve and welcome to our community. Like you, i raise chickens because i enjoy it, but they are a flock - not individuals. After a few months of laying, they are sold as meat and others replace them. It allows for chicken maths without the increasing number of birds!

There are forums on all kinds of livestock, and bees, so please feel at home and enjoy being a member of this great site.

Best wishes
CT

Back
Top Bottom