My jersey giant is broody?

Erkaderka

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2024
Hi, I'm new to keeping backyard chickens. Currently have two Delawares and three Jersey Giants. All of them started laying end of October and early November. Today I noticed one of the JGs sitting in the nesting box, figured she was taking her time laying her egg but she was there still in the evening when everyone else was on the roost. Does this mean she's broody? In the middle of winter?

She’s either broody or sick. Does she puff up and growl and try to bite?
She is all fluffed up but didn't growl or anything. She's sitting on a couple ceramic eggs that I leave in the nests so they know where to lay. I put her on the roost and moved the eggs to a different nest and she followed the eggs.

It is not the best time of year for her to have gone broody, I agree. It is also very strange for a young pullet to go broody this time of year, especially given her breed, which is slow to mature. She does not appear to be ill in any way however, so unless something else pops up, I'm fairly confident she is broody, and has rather strong broody instincts
I'm so confused though because it's the middle of winter here in central ny. And she's not even a year old yet. I got them as day old chicks on May of 2023.

Back
Top Bottom