My LH has a broken leg, I splinted it, need info on what to do next

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
I already posted to emergencies, but it doesn't seem to get as much exposure as this section.

It has been less than a week since the leg got broken. I have it splinted up. The swelling has went down, but it is bruised. She can move her toes. I have had the LH in a separate cage next to the coop/run.

I cannot find any information online about the duration that a splint should remain on. I seen that for a human finger it can be upwards of 6 weeks. Does anyone know how long it should remain splinted?

Since she is able to hop around, I am considering letting her go back into the coop/run with the others. It is hard to keep her in the cage because I have to move her into the brooder at night and then back into the cage in the morning. I also have to move the cage midday because of the sun. Is there any reason that I shouldn't return her to the coop/run with the others?

Thanks in advance!

I hope this helps: http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2014/02/BrokenLeg.html

And I hope she gets better soon!

Thank you, that helps a bit. I guess I will have to continue keeping her in isolation for awhile.

I think I will remove the splint and reassess the damage. I did not splint it until after they swelling happened and since then the swelling has went down. In my case, the splint actually helped her to liven up, I think it alleviated some pain that may have been caused by it moving too much.

Back
Top Bottom