My Liege Fighters at 20 weeks

Pics
Here are two day old liege fighter chicks.

Attachments

• 657AF56A-FFC5-467E-9C99-3924A7A8E265.jpeg
    657AF56A-FFC5-467E-9C99-3924A7A8E265.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 7FFDFFB5-3C81-41ED-B384-48A99B1650AE.jpeg
    7FFDFFB5-3C81-41ED-B384-48A99B1650AE.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 15
He's got some unique color! Of the ~30 cockerels / roosters I've had I haven't had one quite like that. The closest was my boy blue who I sold after the breeding rotation. Not a great picture but he was basically like yours but a little less colorful. Excellent personality though.

View attachment 1483314
I live in north-central Florida. I am breeding from that first batch to start a clan breeding system, but I don't have a website or anything. I'm really just doing it to make sure I keep this flock going long term. They're not great layers (at all) but they are good in the free-range department as far as predator resistance goes. That's why I chose them.

I see now that you are also in Florida. I would sell some locally if I get a surplus of good chickens, but I don't really want to sell culls. Better that they are just culled in my mind. I'm planning to stew what doesn't make the cut for the ongoing breeding program, and just keep the hens for laying even if they're not good enough to breed. I'll send you a PM if I think I have some good extras. I won't know for a few months. I am setting another batch of approx 30 eggs Monday and then a fourth and final batch on June 3rd. That's all I'm doing for this year (4 batches total) until I can see how I did on my first match-ups. Then I'm going to spiral these offspring next spring and hopefully I have 9 good layers, 3 for each of the 3 roosters I select. That should allow me to keep that same flock size going forward every year as long as there is no single large disaster.

And besides, I'm still betting you have a cockerel there. I fooled myself at about 6 weeks trying to go by their combs. The hackle feather I see in all 3 of your pictures and the general body shape of those first two pics makes me think you've got a cockerel. Even though he is crouched down in those pics I can imagine what he would look like if he stood up and stretched and he sure looks like a male to me. I guess its possible you have a colorful hen, but none of mine have been like that - they are all either splash or solid gray (blue) or pretty much solid black.

If I'm wrong you can have a rooster of mine - seriously. I'm going to have a ton of extras.

Are you still breeding Leigh Fighters? My boy Phoenix is 2 1/2 now and I have to keep him separate from my normal hens bc he is too rough with them. Due to his size and he chases them down to mate and about terrorizes them. He is now in a separate pen than the other hens and rooster. I’m thinking of re homing him or getting him a couple hens his size.
495B7CDA-5FEB-4661-84D0-70BCA257E188.jpeg

I have a 4 week old liege fighter pullet and was wondering at what age do these liege pullets begin to lay? I heard rooster mature slowly so now I am curious about the hens. Thanks!

I’m really thinking about ordering 6 of this breed from Greenfire but they are so expensive the wife might kill me. Haha. Does you all still enjoy having them? Are they human aggressive at all?

Back
Top Bottom