My little brood

ScottyGill

Songster
Jun 22, 2019
Dunoon, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
So we’ve made the very difficult decision to cull our last two late hatchers who we feel were malformed. The other chicks wouldn’t accept them and kept kicking them out and attacking them. At first they were strong enough to fight it but that didn’t last. so we let nature make the decision and have kindly euthanised them. I feel at peace with this decision. One had a large white spot on his head so we think it was a male. At this point my feelings are we chose 12 eggs as we knew incubating could be a challenge but we didn’t anticipate how much. I’ve had laying hens before and that was easy compared To this. I found whole experience rather stressful. I think I’d prefer to leave this job to chickens. Plans to increase brood will be either eggs to put under a female if it goes broody or introduce point of lay chickens in spring. Here they are. I think one is a Legbar boy but would love to be wrong. We will rehome him if he gets too noisy but we hope we can figure out how to combat that. Just like first time parents NOTHING can really prepare you for all this

Attachments

• 4E56C1B6-6BE1-4460-87D5-506C9410A915.jpeg
    4E56C1B6-6BE1-4460-87D5-506C9410A915.jpeg
    469.6 KB · Views: 9
sorry you had to go through that....my best success with hatching is with a broody hen....if you want to hatch every year, get a couple bantams.....they love to hatch!!!
your baby chicks are very sweet!...i hope they are all girls!!!

Back
Top Bottom