My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

Quote:
I ended up buying two chicks 8 weeks younger than Nando once his hatch mates left the house. They have bonded as a group but his hatch mates don't see him as part of their group any more. Luckily he is a feisty little thing and will stand up for himself. Good luck, it's a tricky thing! I'm still trying to figure out how I will get Nando with the bigger ladies when I give his ladies over to my sister. I never wanted to run/clean two coops, but I may have to. I'm still trying to figure this out too.

Quote:
Let's see if I can add pics If this works, you can see that Poopsy has no tail feathers in one pic, and the other is Poopsy and Gillian on the box with Thelma (buff) and Louise (SLW) on the floor in front. I will absolutely try giving her (him?) some hard boiled egg and a squeeze of Vitamin D, if doing so at 5 weeks is thought to be okay. Do you give white and yolk, and crush the shell? Gosh, I heard that if they realize how good their eggs are, they may begin eating them - yikes! I love your idea of the plastic bin with a light installed - I think this could work for Poopsy, although it will be too small to fit in their coop unless it is a mini storage box lol! Since she is getting along well with the other girls, I don't think I want to separate her, but I may be able to put a heat light in their outdoor coop for now. Vermont nights are dropping into the 50's, and since they haven't been exposed to any temps lower than the 80's, I don't want to shock them. I like the idea of keeping the wattage low enough so they don't overheat. Thanks for your suggestions! How is Nando doing these days?

Poopsy is so cute. I think she/he will feather out just fine, just needs some time to catch up. At least it's feather pattern looks normal, just slow. Go Poopsy!
I don't think baby chicks whom have never seen an egg before are going to recognize crumbled hard boiled eggs as actual fresh eggs. They look nothing alike. I wouldn't worry about egg eating habits forming from that. There is a pic somewhere in this thread of Nando eating his morning eggs. I used both yolk and whites and a bit of shell. He devoured them.
If there is a place in the coop you can safely hang a heat lamp for Poopsy, she/he should be fine. It's nice for them to have a warming spot at night.
I have a tiny grow-out coop, so I only use a 50watt reptile light to take the edge off. I do have a picture of Nando's hatch mates the night they left the house under the light. It was still spring and cool. I am a fire worrier, so the lamp was triple hung.
75545_img_0223.jpg

HI, I'm new to chickens. I have my first flock. I was reading your post about the little one and have to say my thoughts went in the same direction as "IMNERVOUSNELLY" Thought of little people immediately. I got my first chickens in June. 6 young RI/White rock and 4 older Orpingtons. I wanted to save them from the inevitable. They are still laying and one has gone broody. YEaaa If all goes well some of the ones she's sitting on are going to start hatching on the 19th. We'll see. I have no idea what to do when they hatch. Someone told me to let the hen take care of them but don't they have to have mash? Should I separate them? I feel uncomfortable about leaving them in the coop with the older hens and rooster and the coop opens into the pasture where I now have two goats. The goats probably wouldn't hurt them but they are going to be so little. What should I do? judy

Just wanted to say that I've been following the story of Nando! I am so inspired, not just by Nando, but by all that you did to give him a chance..He is just beautiful! Congrats!!!
smile.png
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif
clap.gif

Quote:
Yes, I will keep him as long as he doesn't end up disturbing the neighbors or me too much. He's not my first rooster, but he's the first one I'm attempting to keep. It has been suggested that due to his history and probable genetic issues, he may never reach sexual maturity. Even if he does, I will not be breeding him. So far he refuses to fly or even hop up on a perch, so I doubt he will attempt to saddle a female!

Quote:
I don't know from experience, since this is the first year I tried hatching chicks and the mother immediately started killing them. I had to rescue Nando and Nellie before she got them too. Most people seem to separate the hen and her eggs when she is broody so they can bond and be safe until they get a bit bigger. I would post the topic in the raising chicks section or enter the question in the search. I know the nerves and million questions well! Unfortunately, it didn't work out for my flock and I had to hand raise yet another batch..Most chickens make better mothers than my Marilla did!
Good luck! you'll figure it out.

Last edited:
Quote:
Aww. Thanks so much. He was a cute little guy, but I really hadn't planned on having to do all this work for a dang chicken! I'm glad he is doing well now and I know I did all I could for him. He seems happy to be outside and part of the flock. Unfortunately, after all my hard work he wants NoThInG to do with me! LOL We'll just enjoy watching him grow and change.

Last edited:
Quote:
Aww. Thanks so much. He was a cute little guy, but I really hadn't planned on having to do all this work for a dang chicken! I'm glad he is doing well now and I know I did all I could for him. He seems happy to be outside and part of the flock. Unfortunately, after all my hard work he wants NoThInG to do with me! LOL We'll just enjoy watching him grow and change.

Awww, He is wants to be a big boy! He is just showing you that he's all grown up!!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom