My Local TSC Selling Sick (MG) Chicks

I was given the wrong information about the chicks being sold at TSC.
I just spoke to Katie, a rep there. She heard the coworker tell it to me wrong the day I called, and was glad I called back. Apparently my word got around and people had been calling.
What had happened was that 1 flock out of their 35 breeder flocks, started showing resp. symptoms. They had birds from it tested by the state to confirm MG. They culled that entire flock.
They also fumigate all eggs to make sure nothing transfers to the chick. They do not actively test for MG, but have not had any symptoms in any of their breeding flocks except that one which was disposed of on recommendation of the state vet. This was last year. They've not had any problems since. They only vaccinate for Marek's and only by request.
I'm sorry for frightening anyone if I did. But I was only passing along information I was given that was supposed to be correct. I hope that you can forgive me.
It would be even better if they did actively test for MG. They all should. But it sounds reasonably safe to go buy chicks from your TSC now.

If this experience taught me anything, it's to check and double check where chicks come from, how their parents are, if they receive vaccinations, what they test for, etc.
But next time I will call and double check info. Like I said, I was only passing along info I had no reason to believe to be false. I hope that makes up for how stupid this has made me look
hide.gif

I never take someone else's word as law because there can be misunderstandings and miscommunications so I called townline myself. Here is what I was told; Last year one of their flocks tested positive for mg so they culled them all. All of their 35 flocks are kept seperate. No other birds tested positive. They fumigate their eggs once a week to make sure they don't carry anything. The woman I spoke to, Katie, said she overheard her coworker last week giving out incorrect information. It was correct in that they had a flock with it. Key word is had. They followed all safety recommendations with the diseased birds. Katie stated that she'd considered joining BYC so she could contact the original caller and give her the correct information.
You were exactly right. I asked to speak to Katie also. Thank you for double checking and getting the details. I should have double checked myself as well, but I didn't see a reason to, ya know?

We all go by the info we receive from reliable sourcs. I'm no different then you. It just wasn't my reliable source. You were trying to prevent heartbreak. Thank you for bringing it up. It's great we have a place to all learn about our flocks health and what to watch for. I'm glad you were online to see my post and that I could facilitate your calling and put Katie at ease. I wonder if we should be calling all the hatcheries every year just to be sure.

Hi everyone :) I'm a TSC team member and I just wanted to help clear up a few things. We spoke to Townline, the hatchery y'all are talking about, and they said they treated the 2% of their flock with MG, which were turkeys – which are NOT sold in TSC stores. As well, any coloring in the water in the chick tanks is simply electrolytes. We do not give antibiotics in the stores. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
I was given the wrong information about the chicks being sold at TSC.
I just spoke to Katie, a rep there. She heard the coworker tell it to me wrong the day I called, and was glad I called back. Apparently my word got around and people had been calling.
What had happened was that 1 flock out of their 35 breeder flocks, started showing resp. symptoms. They had birds from it tested by the state to confirm MG. They culled that entire flock.
They also fumigate all eggs to make sure nothing transfers to the chick. They do not actively test for MG, but have not had any symptoms in any of their breeding flocks except that one which was disposed of on recommendation of the state vet. This was last year. They've not had any problems since. They only vaccinate for Marek's and only by request.
I'm sorry for frightening anyone if I did. But I was only passing along information I was given that was supposed to be correct. I hope that you can forgive me.
It would be even better if they did actively test for MG. They all should. But it sounds reasonably safe to go buy chicks from your TSC now.

If this experience taught me anything, it's to check and double check where chicks come from, how their parents are, if they receive vaccinations, what they test for, etc.
But next time I will call and double check info. Like I said, I was only passing along info I had no reason to believe to be false. I hope that makes up for how stupid this has made me look:oops:
You didn't look stupid. You were just trying help us so we all didn't end up with MG in our flocks. In fact it was the lady you talked to fault. She should of know what she was talking about before giving wrong information.

I'm pretty happy that there's no MS in TSC chicks. Cause I just bought some. Have 5 EE and 1 that I think is a buff Orpington. It was in the EE tank but it might just have gotten thrown in. They're adorable! Now if I can just get some marans and show silkies I'll be happy. Lol

You didn't look stupid. You were just trying help us so we all didn't end up with MG in our flocks. In fact it was the lady you talked to fault. She should of know what she was talking about before giving wrong information.
Thanks for that
hugs.gif
I'm not the type to point fingers, but true. For some reason I still feel like the boy who cried wolf
roll.png
lol. I was really fired up about it! I'm glad it's not true too though because in my area and about 30 miles to both sides of me (which covers about 5 small towns) TSC is the only place for people to get their chicks. If they had had any of the mycoplasmas, it would have set back my area immensely, and it would have began spreading everywhere. Many people here are into trading and selling, and half at least believe that chickens "just get colds"
hmm.png
. So them getting sick stock would not end well. I actually thought about going and getting a chick or 2 myself for this one lonely week old frizzle in my brooder, but they have a 6 chick limit so I just wound up going and getting another chick from the same breeder. It's white and only 2 days old so hoping it's frizzled too
fl.gif
I've got 5 chickens now, and 25 ordered....so hubby would've killed me if I had brought home 6 more lol.

I'm glad you were able to go get what you wanted. If you were closer, I'd part with a couple of BC Marans when they come in the mail next month.
At our TSCs, I think they'll let you make a special order for what you want that they'll send when they get another shipment in. Maybe the TSC member that posted on the last page could chime in on that.
I'm pretty happy that there's no MS in TSC chicks. Cause I just bought some. Have 5 EE and 1 that I think is a buff Orpington. It was in the EE tank but it might just have gotten thrown in. They're adorable! Now if I can just get some marans and show silkies I'll be happy. Lol

Thanks for that
hugs.gif
I'm not the type to point fingers, but true. For some reason I still feel like the boy who cried wolf
roll.png
lol. I was really fired up about it! I'm glad it's not true too though because in my area and about 30 miles to both sides of me (which covers about 5 small towns) TSC is the only place for people to get their chicks. If they had had any of the mycoplasmas, it would have set back my area immensely, and it would have began spreading everywhere. Many people here are into trading and selling, and half at least believe that chickens "just get colds"
hmm.png
. So them getting sick stock would not end well. I actually thought about going and getting a chick or 2 myself for this one lonely week old frizzle in my brooder, but they have a 6 chick limit so I just wound up going and getting another chick from the same breeder. It's white and only 2 days old so hoping it's frizzled too
fl.gif
I've got 5 chickens now, and 25 ordered....so hubby would've killed me if I had brought home 6 more lol.

I'm glad you were able to go get what you wanted. If you were closer, I'd part with a couple of BC Marans when they come in the mail next month.
Soooo how can we be sure that the chicks we want to buy from any of the feed or ag stores are mg free? Is there a list of hatcheries somewhere that advertise to be mg free?

You'll not find such information. Hatcheries don't even want their customers to know that such diseases exist. But, if you ask a specific hatchery, they may be obligated to tell you. Not sure on that one.

Back
Top Bottom