My mystery chicken

Lida7

Chirping
Feb 17, 2021
I had a plan to get 2 Orpingtons, one buff and one blue, but I could not find anywhere to get both, so I got my buff Saffron, and next day or so, I was going to drive 100km to get her friend, except we ended up in lock down, again. Poor Saffron was only about 10 maybe 12 weeks old, and frightened of my other girls, so I was quite urgently looking for a friend of appropriate age for her. I also wanted her to be vaccinated, which many breeders do not do.
And then I found somebody within our permitted zone, who had paddock full of buff Orpington pullets and some Brahmas, and then there was Marigold. She looked quite the same shape as the buff girls but she has yellow legs, and she is the most bright copper orange. I knew she is not quite Orpington, but got her anyway. Then she started developing interesting lacy "peacock" pattern!
I think she is absolutely stunning, and real character, she is also bonding with Saffron and our old Dotty (French Houdan), who has really come out of her shell since Marigold arrived.
I have actually seen the same pattern on hen that somebody tried to sell me as a "rare" red Orpington for about triple the cost of most Orpingtons.
Do you think she is an Orpington cross?

Attachments

• IMG_2648.JPG
    IMG_2648.JPG
    926.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2609.JPG
    IMG_2609.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2636.JPG
    IMG_2636.JPG
    701.8 KB · Views: 13
She reminds me of my Henna(I added a pic), but with a lot less black. Henna is a Rhode Island Red, Brown leg horn cross if that gives you anything but I think yours is an Orpington cross just tough to say with what.

Attachments

• 1C13FBD9-EE81-479C-9DC0-A24FDEDF56B8.jpeg
    1C13FBD9-EE81-479C-9DC0-A24FDEDF56B8.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom