My new chicks are here pics!

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
Well, here they are. They came a day early and the po in town called.. I left work early to get them and take them home. Their room is 85 degrees. They are active and eating. I am going to leave it at that temp unless someone here tells me that I need to make it warmer. They seem healthy and fine.
newchicks.jpg

Ellie

They'll tell you if they are cold. Keep an eye on them and if they all start huddling up next to each other, they are cold.

Those look like the new chicks I got last week. I have four barred rocks, four rhode island reds, and four buff orpingtons in a rubbermaid container on the back porch. During the day it's been in the nineties and they are fine. As soon as it starts to cool down in the evening (around 85) they start huddling up and I turn on the heat lamp. I have one of those big 250 watt infrared lamps a few feet above the box and shine it off to the side so about half the box is lit and then drape a towel over the other half of the box so they can escape the rays if they want. I've noticed my Barred Rocks like to hang out in the heat and the Buff Orpingtons which are a tad bigger right now will hang out in the shade. If you give them a warm part of the box and a cool part of the box they'll decide for themselves what feels right.

Oooh! Oooh! I want that one and that one and that one....and one of those.....now if I could only figure out a brooder that's not in my bedroom closet....

We want more pics!
pop.gif

They grow like weeds. The day we got these they were little puffballs that were climbing all the way into the feeder to eat with just the very back of their butts sticking out of the holes in the feeder. Nine days later they almost have full wing feathers and are just about flying out of the box. They've been flying up and perching on top of the water bottle.

100_2526.jpg

Thanks for looking at them and sharing. They seem to be spread out ok with the temp at 82. I have a monitor next to my bed to tell me if the temp drops.
smile.png
I came in to peek at 2 am and they were all over just little drops, sleeping.

It is 105 outside here so the room stays warm but it is too hot to take them outside.

One is having difficulty so I am posting in the other subject area.

Got them from Ideal.

Ellie

Cool! Did you order production RIR or dark? They look like the darks to me!
Once again awesome babies!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom