My new coop finally! Pic heavy

davony's chicks

Songster
10 Years
May 30, 2009
Missouri
After selling all my chickens except 3 and moving to our new home I have finally built my new coop. I hatched lots of eggs this spring that I bought from different breeders around the country they are finally ready to move in!

We have tons of predators around here so we had to make sure it was secure by putting 2 foot of fencing in the ground all of the way around it and fencing over the top. I have six foot tall runs all of the way around.

The coop is 10'x12' with a 4' wide walk down the center with a small brooder area at the far end. Down the left side is a 4'x10' area for my LF cochins and on the right side I have 2 4'x5' sections for my bantam cochins. I put the nest boxes on the outside so that it wouldn't take up room inside the coop. The chicks doors are situated under the nest boxes so that they have a porch hang over to help keep rain and snow out. I painted the floors so that they are easier to keep clean. The coop is built about 6 inches off the ground and is fenced so the chicks can't get under it. I was given the wooden rooster that has become the mascott at the front door.

Bossy Betty hung around all day supervising the paint crew and putting in her 2 cents as needed.

The paint and fencing crew got an early start

Finished except the for electricity which is what the ditch is for. There are 2 planters one on each side of the dooor that will soon be filled with flowers.

This wooden rooster was given to me a few years ago for Xmas and now finally has a home!

its hard to take interior pictures but this is the left side that is 4'x10' and is going to be all LF cochins. This picture shows some bantams in there. I have not decided who will be kept and who will leave as they are all 8-10 weeks old right now.

Right side with 2 4'x5' bantam pens.

Brooder area that is 4'x3'. This area is temporary I will probably remove it and put my feed in that area.

This run is on the bantam side and will be divided soon.

LF run

First day outside in the run!

Last edited:
It's a very nice setup! The only thing I would suggest is that you put the hardware wire you have on the windows over the welded wire of the run as well, even on top. Predators can still make short work of chickens through that welded wire alone. We secured our hardware wire with screws and fender washers for added security.

Back
Top Bottom