my new ducklings...questions for those with experience

bangor777

Songster
11 Years
May 4, 2008
So I have 3 silky ducklings I hatched from shipped eggs. They are about 2 weeks old now. They are so very cute, but not very friendly. Is this normal for ducklings? They remind me of the pheasants i hatched last year. When anyone approaches the brooder they all run (like they are running for their lives!) When you try to hold one it's like holding a snake....they get those feet and those long necks going....squirming like mad to get away. They never calm down when held. They love to swim, will tolerate me watching them, but they just won't become 'tame'. My chickens are such sweet things, fall asleep in your arms etc....but not the ducks. Is this normal for all ducks? Will they become more friendly?

its pretty normal for ducks. mine were a couple weeks old when we got them and they would FREAK if anyone went near them. get them to trust you with food. mine are full grown and one still tolerates being held if you can catch her and her feet stay on the ground.

From everything I have read and experienced, ducks do not usually "warm up to you" like chickens. My silky ducks didn't even like me when I went to feed them. I was SO excited to get them and then they were so over me that I was disappointed. Now, I didn't raise them from eggs, but I did raise some Black East Indies and Call Ducks from eggs and they weren't any different....not interested.

My runners and muscovies were a bit more personable, but not like chickens, really. There are lots of threads on this site that address this, if you want to search. But the silky ducks sure are pretty!!!

Good luck!

I am experiencing the same thing. I acquired 5 new ducklings last week and put them in the brooder. Yesterday we moved them into the small coop by themselves. Two were so upset that they got sick all over me. I am not sure what to do but my heart says just to keep working with them and they will warm up to you.
idunno.gif

I raised 2 of them to teenager stage and have one more a week old in the brooder so far. NONE of them like to be picked up, BUT the two I hatched out are always happy to see me and like to "talk" to me. They show off and flap their tiny little wings while I call them "pretty duck", etc... The hatchery duckling I bought is a little more wary, but only freaks when I try to pick it up.

I would handle them more, bribe them more and spend more time with them if I could.

We are working with khaki/buff duckling now getting it used to be picked up and held. With the teenagers, they still try to get away, but you can catch them pretty easy.

Two were so upset that they got sick all over me

JJ did this too. Now she is the easiest one to pick up and gives me the least trouble.​

Last edited:
I got two of my silkie ducks to hatch and they are super friendly. If I stick my hand in the brooder they come running over to pick at it. If I take them out they run all around, but stick close to me. Did you spend alot of time with them after they hatched?? That is what I did so they would imprint on me. The only problem with them is I have them brooding with some turkeys and if the turkeys don't come out with them they get a little bit scared...but other that that they are friendly little buggers!!!!

My call duck scooter is the same way she is about 5 weeks old and she come running over when she hears my voice...keep working with them!!

Mine are 5 to 6 weeks old. When they were in the house they were pretty friendly. Now that they are outside they are much more skiddish. Disappointing, but they will at least still eat from my hand when I have food.

Back
Top Bottom