My new feeders and waterers :)

Love these! Have a few items in my Amazon cart now, thank you!
Thanks for the links! For buckets, look behind restaurants, construction sites (Habitat builds). Chinese restaurants are a good start, but most all of food joints purchase stuff in five or six gallon sizes - just need to drive around back! The was up nicely and uselay come with lids. Drywall 'mud' comes in such buckets - check out homes that are being flipped - often they buy the five or six gallon buckets of mud rather than mix it themselves.

Penny saved . . .

I needed something predator proof, rainproof even when open during the day, and easy to manage. I don't work away from home, so it's unlikely I'd forget to open or close the feeder ports since I have to open and close their pop door and check waterers twice a day, anyway. The tote and feeder ports fit the bill for my setup.

Now, if I could just remember to latch the gate open when I let them out to range, so the wind doesn't blow it closed (like two days ago) ..... then I wouldn't go out at dusk to lock up and find 40 panicked chickens pacing around the run fencing and at the closed gate. LOL
Ideal for you then, well done. I have an automatic door opener but since I put up a permanent covered run, due to this latest outbreak of avian flu, I leave it open all the time and they can come and go, coop to run and back again whenever they like, as we are still in lockdown here they no longer range free. Think we've all been there with chickens locked out, with the automatic closer sometimes you get the hens wanting to stay out longer then they panic when the door shuts. We usually go out for a meal Saturday nights and we've come back to chickens locked out once or twice, that was before I made the run, what a pain trying to find them all and make sure they get put in the coop. It's surprising where they get to roost when that happens.
Luckily we don't have to worry about racoons and possums and yes they would be able to get into them so not an option for you.

Now, if I could just remember to latch the gate open when I let them out to range,
I have a chain thing that allows the gate to remain open just wide enough for the birds to come and go and a latch that prevents the gate from latching once the gate is open. I have to lift the latch, close the gate and let the latch back down to hold the gate (door) closed.

I do this to keep my larger dog out of that run/coop as he has a fondness for fresh eggs.

This particular coop/run is simply a 10 x 10 chain-link fenced affair with a feeder, waterer, nest boxes and a couple of tree branches mounted for perches. Meant to keep the larger predators out more than anything.

Once the gate/door is open - the free-range over several acres.

Update: The tote I used for the feeders DOES hold 100 lbs. of feed. It kind of mounds up a bit, but the lid has cavity space so it fits over it very nicely, and not too full.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRIS-Weath...Quart-Black-Tote-with-Latching-Lid/1001277976
  • Capacity: 82 quart for the bin, 87 quart including domed lid
  • Dimensions 30L x 16W x 15.44H
Wow $40!
I've used some pretty cheap plastic 'storage containers' over the years and find they all handle the outdoors fine. One sat in my garden full of soil (and onions) for ten years before cracking!

One thing I've noticed is that rats/mice/squirrels chew holes right through plastic garbage cans contenant l'arôme des aliments - ask me how I know! We switched to galvanized metal cans for anything food related.

The food attracts them and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that they attempt to gnaw through anything between them and the food. Plastics of any sort cannot withstand the assaults.

We have a Doggy Door that allows our dogs to patrol our acres at will. They find the rates and moles and destroy them - leaving the carcass for us to dispose of come morning. So far, only one squirrel and a possum However, they must scare/run off the others predators.

Where'd you get your cups? Link, please.
From Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089XZVZMP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&tag=backy-20

After a couple of weeks of use, I've noticed some issues:
- They all loosened up and started to leak a bit, because the chickens knocked them around a little bit. Once turned sideways a little, they don't seal. I had to pry lids off and tighten them all again. Monitoring this to see if it's a regular issue, or just a one-time adjustment that needed to be made after installation.

- One of the cups broke already. The cup part has little plastic knobs that fit into the housing of the valve part, so that the cup can rotate up and down slightly. One of those knobs broke off, allowing the cup to tilt sideways and opening the seal. I fixed it by slicing off the remaining knob, drilling through the cup where the knobs used to be, then reattaching to the valve part by putting a tie through both sides and around the top. It works fine now, but of course I'll be watching for any other failures.

In hindsight, I probably wouldn't buy these again. I'd look for something more durable, and if there are moving parts, made of nylon or metal.

If you (or anyone else) gets these, I recommend finding a permanent location so that you do NOT have to carry the buckets around, but drag a garden hose around instead. The cups are far too fragile if you knock them against something; probably why mine broke. I now have them set up on a pair of stacked circular patio blocks, about an inch in diameter wider than the base of the bucket. That's so that the block doesn't interfere with the motion of the cups. Be sure you drill the holes high enough on the bucket so that when it sits on the ground, the cups do NOT touch the ground. I'd drill 1/4-1/2" higher than what the instructions say to do.

I have an eton twist lock waterer that holds 1 1/2 watering cans worth and a washing up bowl full that I just use a watering can to fill but then I only have eleven birds so this is fine for them, only need to refill once a week to 10 days, but it will be more in summer as they drink more.

From Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089XZVZMP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&tag=backy-20

After a couple of weeks of use, I've noticed some issues:
- They all loosened up and started to leak a bit, because the chickens knocked them around a little bit. Once turned sideways a little, they don't seal. I had to pry lids off and tighten them all again. Monitoring this to see if it's a regular issue, or just a one-time adjustment that needed to be made after installation.

- One of the cups broke already. The cup part has little plastic knobs that fit into the housing of the valve part, so that the cup can rotate up and down slightly. One of those knobs broke off, allowing the cup to tilt sideways and opening the seal. I fixed it by slicing off the remaining knob, drilling through the cup where the knobs used to be, then reattaching to the valve part by putting a tie through both sides and around the top. It works fine now, but of course I'll be watching for any other failures.

In hindsight, I probably wouldn't buy these again. I'd look for something more durable, and if there are moving parts, made of nylon or metal.

If you (or anyone else) gets these, I recommend finding a permanent location so that you do NOT have to carry the buckets around, but drag a garden hose around instead. The cups are far too fragile if you knock them against something; probably why mine broke. I now have them set up on a pair of stacked circular patio blocks, about an inch in diameter wider than the base of the bucket. That's so that the block doesn't interfere with the motion of the cups. Be sure you drill the holes high enough on the bucket so that when it sits on the ground, the cups do NOT touch the ground. I'd drill 1/4-1/2" higher than what the instructions say to do.
Thanks for providing the link and adding a review. My chicks have graduated from the Ball canning jar waterer to two intermediate sized waterers. The 5 gallon bucket waterer is stored for now. And I'll remember your suggestions.

:thumbsup

Edited to add:
I just realized that my cups are not the same as yours, but came from the Rent-a-Coop store:
https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Automatic-Chicken-Waterer-Poultry/dp/B07D6W2JK8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4

Last edited:
I just realized that my cups are not the same as yours, but came from the Rent-a-Coop store:
https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Automatic-Chicken-Waterer-Poultry/dp/B07D6W2JK8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4
Much better!!! I think I see the same plastic knobs that the cups pivot on, but I LOVE that RentaCoop is an American company, started by just a couple of chicken enthusiasts. The cups are pricier, but I plan to order the same set you have for another waterer, and will compare the quality.
https://rentacoop.com/pages/about

Back
Top Bottom