QuickGirl16

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2018
Hello,
I'm about to move on to my very own farm. While thinking of all of the possibilities I began thinking of all of the different animals I had growing up and all the ones I always wanted. I knew first thing I wanted ducks! As a kid we would raise ducks and sooner or later they would love taunting our outside guard dog and playing in his water bucket. One by one they paid the price. After my mom would not let us have anymore ducks :hit. So naturally the first thing I wanted was ducks! Even though I should have waited to get ducklings before I moved out of my rental home, I couldn't :D. I did however contain myself and only purchased 2 to start.

What I did fail to do was research what breed of ducks I wanted and for what purposes. When at the local farm store to "not buy ducks" my husband spotted a mostly all black duckling with a small white bib. That was it, he wanted that duckling. This was the only one like this. It is mandatory to buy at least 2 so I picked a lively yellow duckling. I knew the yellow duckling was an Indian Runner but had no clue what the black one was.

I've had them now for almost 4 weeks. They are just starting to molt and their little peeps are starting to crack. Also, now after some looking I now know the black duckling is a Cayuga! Now I am so excited to see its beautiful feathers. I'm also very positive they are both females. I am now aiming to purchase more of each breed for bug control, eggs, entertainment, brooding, and eventually (if I can bring myself to do it) meat.

Attachments

• WP_20180416_10_56_52_Pro.jpg
    WP_20180416_10_56_52_Pro.jpg
    344.4 KB · Views: 11
Congrats on your new ducks! They are cuties. I bought ducks to get meat since I process chickens and we raise pigs for slaughter. But I have yet to be able to do the deed to ducks. They are just too darn cute. I ended up selling a couple drakes that were meant to be processed and giving one away. I hatched out some eggs saying I'd process them, well only one hatched and I got attached. So I started with 4 ducks to lay eggs for me to process the offspring and now I have 7 ducks and none in the freezer. Lol. Maybe some day.

Back
Top Bottom