My new rooster is mean to my pullets!!!

Southern28Chick

Flew The Coop
12 Years
Apr 16, 2007
I got a new rooster. He's a little over a year old and is used to being in charge. I have him separated in his own section of the chicken yard to keep him from my 23 girls. The girls are 6 weeks old. The other day when I was out with my girls I let him out of his area for some supervised visitation.

One of the girls went up to him and pecked him in his wattles and he pecked her on top of the head and then kicked her out of his way. Then he went running after some of the other girls doing the same to them. I'm sure he is probably setting the pecking order straight but I think he could hurt my girls.

I had him out for only about 3 minutes before I had to put him back in his yard.

Is this normal behavior? Should I keep him away from them until they're full grown?

hu.gif
well i never had a rooster but i have a duck seperated in a dog kennel in my room because my drake attacked her and ripped her blood feathers out and she has a huge patch of skin now, I'm trying to find him a home. He loves my other welsh ducks but he's very mean to my pekin and she was my first duck ever she's about 4 years old and she does not deserve it so he's needs to find a new home. If he badly injures one of your females i think maybe you should consider getting rid of him and finding a more docile one. just my .2 again never had a rooster lol Good Luck!!

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Normal Roo behavior...he's just asserting his dominance. My 12 wk old roo does much worse to his pullets...he grabs them by the neck and pulls them around the coop while they scream!!! It's like the caveman with the club...

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Normal Roo behavior...he's just asserting his dominance. My 12 wk old roo does much worse to his pullets...he grabs them by the neck and pulls them around the coop while they scream!!! It's like the caveman with the club...

umm ouch lol

It may be normal roo behavior but I for one refuse to keep a roo that is mean or agressive with my girls If he can't be sweet to get what he wants then he dont need to live here. I have got a leg horn- hot dog, an aracuna( not named yet) and a BLRW- pretty boy that have all figired it out so they stay
smile.png
They give the girl worms and other bugs when they find them, move out of the feed if there is not enough room for teh girls to get in to eat. They only time the get pushy is bed time when they went to cuddle the girls on the roost and often push them off in their attempts to get closer.

Quote:
I let my flock free-range so I need an aggressive rooster...if I have to trade a little hen abuse by the rooster to get a flock protector than for me it's an acceptable trade. Squirrels, groundhogs and my cat are not safe around "Vito"...he is definitely the Godfather around here.

Well, your rooster doesn't treat his hens like hens... well... because they are babies. A year old rooster shouldn't be let in with 6 week old pullets. I would wait till the girls are at least 16 weeks old. I sometimes let my 12 week old hens free range where there is a old rooster but he has his adult hens to keep him busy. Your lone old roo needs some ladies or will beat on the pullets till they are a receptive age to him. I would wait till your girls grow up.

Back
Top Bottom