my newbie quail setup - suggestions to make it better plus questions

firefowl

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2013
Temperate Australia
I built this cage from a dissasembled pallet and a left over fence sheet. I had to pay for screws, staples and hardware cloth/aviary netting. The watering system I built from beaktime lubbing cups, 15mm pvc pipe, 15mm pvc end cap, 15mm pvc valve socket male thread, a irrigation female thread to 13mm barb, plumbing teflon tape, 13mm food grade hose and a beer fermenter with a tap as the reservoir.

There's not much more to it than that so I want to know how I can make it better. The feeder is inefficient because they flick so much feed away. There's no provision for an enclosed/covered area or any solid floor for them to rest their feet. Any specific suggestions for improvement and how I would go about it?

Also how many quail can comfortably live here? Currently I have 5 hens and 1 rooster. I also installed the water system a bit low, will this be a problem? How many of these size cages would I need to supply myself with meat from 2 quails each day? Could a brooder be built in a similair fashion to this cage from pallet wood?

IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1631.JPG

Last edited:
I like it, and they should be fine. Maybe add a pan with sand in it for bathing. A brooder would have to be more enclosed , so maybe some plywood sides. Good luck.

That's a mighty good set up. You can probably fit a dozen quails in there quite comfortably. If you have another 2 of those and incubate 80 eggs a month, you could have enough meat for 2 birds a day and whole lot of boiled, fried, poached and pickled eggs.

Back
Top Bottom