My night time visitors

My philosophy for just about everything is FAMILY FIRST ...take care of your own including your pets and livestock ! Anything ( and I mean ANYTHING ) that disrupts the harmony of my family or farm is dealt with seriously and swiftly ! I have zero time or tolerance for trouble makers whether they are wannbe boyfriends ( I have 3 daughters ) chicken eaters or bugs in the house !

I have no time for half measures , adopting strays , trying to change the nature of the beast ! Troublemakers have two options here ... leave on your own or meet Jesus

Missouri trapping season ended yesterday... there are 36 coyotes and 6 bobcats less I have to worry about eating any fawns or wild turkey poults this spring on my properties !
Trapping.jpg

2018_cat.jpg

Last edited:
My philosophy for just about everything is FAMILY FIRST ...take care of your own including your pets and livestock ! Anything ( and I mean ANYTHING ) that disrupts the harmony of my family or farm is dealt with seriously and swiftly ! I have zero time or tolerance for trouble makers whether they are wannbe boyfriends ( I have 3 daughters ) chicken eaters or bugs in the house !

I have no time for half measures , adopting strays , trying to change the nature of the beast ! Troublemakers have two options here ... leave on your own or meet Jesus

Missouri trapping season ended yesterday... there are 36 coyotes and 6 bobcats less I have to worry about eating any fawns or wild turkey poults this spring on my properties !
View attachment 1253173
View attachment 1253176

Look's like you had a great season with those! I applaud you with taking them down! :clap

(four daughters here, know how you feel :oops::he:mad:)
I don't know how other states are but here you can 'eliminate' any predatory animal that that is damaging your property or threatening your or your family, or your livestock (including chickens) safety, this also includes dogs threatening your livestock or family. Bears your supposed to report here if you have to knock one of them out, and they include damaging apiaries (bee hives)
Can't touch birds of prey though hawks falcons etc, Federally protected.

Wow and I raised just one good looking kid! 1 for 1 I can't imagine the stress of raising three or 4. I am curious and this might not be an appropriate question .17 or what caliber are you using? @Mr Pink I'm just a bit of a ballistics nut. That is the round I would be choosing due to it's relatively flat profile. 5.7x28 would be another option but expensive and not available in a long gun. Unless you deem a P-90 a long gun.

Last edited:

View attachment 1253173
View attachment 1253176

My challenge now is that I had that cat snared and it fought it enough to flip the anchor up over the top of the tpost. Had him by the left rear leg. I was using the light weight shorter ones. Never thought about putting the anchor end on the bottom of the tpost and then sinking it in the ground. He may not be back right away but it will be back. Easy meals are irresistible and I'm gonna make it easier with a bait chicken and #3s in addition to the snares. And he's way to comfortable around humans. Human scent/urine does nothing to deter him. Shows up the same night.
MFDC0260.JPG

The nice thing about TX is that they fall into the same class as feral hogs. No season No protection.

Wow and I raised just one good looking kid! 1 for 1 I can't imagine the stress of raising three or 4. I am curious and this might not be an appropriate question .17 or what caliber are you using? @Mr Pink I'm just a bit of a ballistics nut. That is the round I would be choosing due to it's relatively flat profile. 5.7x28 would be another option but expensive and not available in a long gun. Unless you deem a P-90 a long gun.

Trapping not shooting. Using snares and leg holds if legal. Shooting destroys much of the value in the pelts if they are being sold.

All the coyotes and cats pictured and mentioned were trapped using snares or as they are referred to in Missouri "cable restraints " . Legal snares in Missouri must
  • Be made of stranded steel cable, not greater than 5 feet long (not including extension, with a diameter of not less than 5/64 inch and equipped with a commercially manufactured breakaway rated at 350 pounds or less, a relaxing-type lock, a stop device that prevents it from closing to less than 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and an anchor swivel. Note: Compression-type chokes and other mechanically powered springs are prohibited.

All the coyotes and cats pictured and mentioned were trapped using snares or as they are referred to in Missouri "cable restraints " . Legal snares in Missouri must
  • Be made of stranded steel cable, not greater than 5 feet long (not including extension, with a diameter of not less than 5/64 inch and equipped with a commercially manufactured breakaway rated at 350 pounds or less, a relaxing-type lock, a stop device that prevents it from closing to less than 2 1/2 inches in diameter, and an anchor swivel. Note: Compression-type chokes and other mechanically powered springs are prohibited.
Ok thank you for the education. I noticed some blood how are they dispatched after snaring? I was assuming by firearm.

Just to me that seems the most humane method as it is nearly instant especially with a .17 the velocity on that round is really interesting with the results I've seen.

Yes dispatched with .22 pistol... I carry a Mini 14 Ruger Ranch rifle .223 in my ranger while working on property and also have a Marlin 917V in .17 HMR rifle at the house for any "varmints " that my need attention in the front yard or around the chicken coop/run ... caught a fox tipping across the yard ( my front yard is 8 acres ) with one of the neighbors chickens in it's mouth last summer , the .17 but a stop to that real quick !

Back
Top Bottom