My pallet wood pen and pics of my 11 day old babies!!

Chikndinner

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 9, 2010
Here is my pallet wood pen. All salvage wood and I only spent 40 on hardware and wheels. The inside is 38X64 and I can either have it open for a community pen or divide it with the two separate doors. It is also on wheels as I will be keeping it in the garage.

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01118.jpg

DSC01119.jpg

Here are my babies

DSC01120.jpg

DSC01121.jpg

and my lone Manchurian that hatched out as a suprise

DSC01123.jpg

DSC01124.jpg

You have inspired me to use pallet wood to build a very similar housing for my broody hens. There is a business in my town that is burning their wood pallets(during a burn ban too!) I am going to ask if they will let me have them Will hopefully save some trees and have cleaner air too
big_smile.png

Quote:
I agree. I passed up on some pallets that had moldy wood and some smelled like chemicals. However most of this pen is built from crates that I get from a local forklift business. All of the 1x4s are clean number 2 or 3 pine and smell fresh!!

Quote:
I agree. I passed up on some pallets that had moldy wood and some smelled like chemicals. However most of this pen is built from crates that I get from a local forklift business. All of the 1x4s are clean number 2 or 3 pine and smell fresh!!

I was gonna say, man where did they get that pallet wood- I am there. so where abouts are you?
smile.png

did they staple them together? how did you de-construct them? I have always found pallets to be tedious to salvage unless you find just the right ones.

Quote:
They WERE tedious to deconstruct
wink.png
!! They had about 5 nails in every spot where I would have used one if I had built them. The big difference was that they were mostly Crates and not the standard pallets. I tore them apart with a hammer and a prybar.

You either have to spend time or money. In this case I had more time than money:D,

I gave the oops poopie a free pass since he was nice enough to pose for the camera shots. And I was smart enough not to put him on the carpet:cool:

Yessss!!! I was looking for cheap materials to build a quail pen. Will be making this ASAP! :D Thank You thank you thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom