My Pekin made a nest... please say this is a good sign

Happy Camper

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 19, 2012
Puerto Rico
My Pekin Kala, chose a nice spot and made a nest. She had previously layed all over the place and now is not. She is going in to turn them during the day...

If heard Pekin ducks just won't sit so I was removing them. I have some in my bator, some under a broody turkey hen and some in my stomach.

However, this last week I thought I'd give her a chance... I'd just loooove to have her hatch some ducklings. What do you think? Is this normal behavior for a non broody duck?

Last edited:
The brooding instinct has not been bred out of all pekins. Let her give it a try. What have you got to lose?

My Pekin girls will sometimes make nests but usually won't sit on them long enough to do anything. But I've heard of some peoples Pekins actually hatching some ducklings. It all really depends on the duck herself but from my experience they don't usually sit on the nests long enough throughout the day and night to do anything. Good luck though!

My Pekin girls will sometimes make nests but usually won't sit on them long enough to do anything. But I've heard of some peoples Pekins actually hatching some ducklings. It all really depends on the duck herself but from my experience they don't usually sit on the nests long enough throughout the day and night to do anything. Good luck though!

Not even if I pen her up when she has reached a fair amount?

Penning her up will accomplish nothing. Either she has broody instinct or she doesn't. You can not make a chicken or duck hen go broody.

Not even if I pen her up when she has reached a fair amount?

No if anything that might make stop. Pekins have been bread for meat and eggs for a long time so the broodness trait has almost completely disappeared in the breed. One of my girls made a very nice nest and laid about 20 eggs or so and still never sat except every once in awhile. Some Pekins will hatch eggs others won't and some might sit and then half way through get up and walk away. It all depends on the duck.

Penning her up will accomplish nothing.  Either she has broody instinct or she doesn't.  You can not make a chicken or duck hen go broody. 

Yeah... you're right... someone needs to come up with the broody pill.
THANKS FOR YOUR GOOD ADVICE THOUGH, I'll let you know if she hatches some;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom