My pet duck got bit and needs help idk what to do?

cauliflower

Hatching
Jan 27, 2023
My male runner got bit tonight by my dog, it wasn't a full chomp he was just warning him because the duck was climbing on him, so it's not very noticeable but I can't tell there's an indent where he got bit and it's sensitive. It's in between his eyes and he's already had head trauma from getting his head crushed and I'm just really worried because he's in a lot of pain and disoriented and I'm not sure what to do beyond making him comfortable but he's still in pain and I'm worried about complications but taking him to the vet isn't an option right now.

do you have a photo?
dogs usually don’t mean to hurt or kill the chickens when they bite out, but they don’t realise how strong they are and how fragile chickens are.

I don't think I'd even be able to capture it, it's already in the dip in between his eyes so it's hard to see in the first place and it's not very deep, it's mainly the internal damage I'm worried about.

If there's no open wound, I would just monitor him for the time being. It could be just be simple bruising... I would get him to a vet if you have one available. A picture would also be great. While we may not see the indent, the image will also give us an idea to his current physical condition. Is he displaying any signs of shock?

My male runner got bit tonight by my dog, it wasn't a full chomp he was just warning him because the duck was climbing on him, so it's not very noticeable but I can't tell there's an indent where he got bit and it's sensitive. It's in between his eyes and he's already had head trauma from getting his head crushed and I'm just really worried because he's in a lot of pain and disoriented and I'm not sure what to do beyond making him comfortable but he's still in pain and I'm worried about complications but taking him to the vet isn't an option right now.
If there's no open wound then just keep an eye on him. Is he showing any signs of shock, or behaving abnormally?

Please be careful in future. If your dog was able to lash out this time, next time could be a lot worse. I would not trust them together again, as it seems neither respect eachothers space.

If there's no open wound then just keep an eye on him. Is he showing any signs of shock, or behaving abnormally?

Please be careful in future. If your dog was able to lash out this time, next time could be a lot worse. I would not trust them together again, as it seems neither respect eachothers space.
He was in pretty bad shock for awhile there but he's doing a lot better now. I sat him in a dark space and let him calm down and he's doing a lot better, I'm just concerned about any brain damage that could leave him in pain or disoriented permanently. He seems to be able to see who I am now, before he had to hear me to know, and I'm hoping he continues to get better and heal. His last accident was just that, pure accident, kid was playing in a chair and the chair fell right onto his face, it was right on the joint between his face and beak and he recovered pretty well. The only difference now is it's not bleeding, and it's on the top of his head, he's my baby and I wanted y'all's opinion about it, thank you for helping me not panic too much💜

And don't worry the dog isn't usually too bad about snapping, I don't usually blame him for it as my duck is an ass who likes to bite dogs 10x bigger than him lol. They've forgiven each other already but I will be keeping my boy away from the dogs for a while still, again thank you all💜

And don't worry the dog isn't usually too bad about snapping, I don't usually blame him for it as my duck is an ass who likes to bite dogs 10x bigger than him lol. They've forgiven each other already but I will be keeping my boy away from the dogs for a while still, again thank you all💜
Next time your duck may not be so lucky
See way to many posts on here of owners dogs killing their birds
I own dogs one being my 11 year old husky and she loves her flock. She guards them all day outside but she respects their space and they respect her. They don’t get close but are not afraid of her
If they get to close she moves out of the way
My wiener dog on the other hand is not allowed to be with my birds
He is 12 and probably couldn’t hurt a fly but they go in a group and chase him into a corner and I’m not sure if he would try to bite if he felt to threatened
So we just keep them separated

Next time your duck may not be so lucky
See way to many posts on here of owners dogs killing their birds
I own dogs one being my 11 year old husky and she loves her flock. She guards them all day outside but she respects their space and they respect her. They don’t get close but are not afraid of her
If they get to close she moves out of the way
My wiener dog on the other hand is not allowed to be with my birds
He is 12 and probably couldn’t hurt a fly but they go in a group and chase him into a corner and I’m not sure if he would try to bite if he felt to threatened
So we just keep them separated
Okay, that's not too much of an option, he lives inside with me and there's not much separation beyond putting a tiny fence in my tiny house so that he's away from the giant dog, but that leaves him in this less than five foot square space to sit in all day long, the dogs still walk up to HIM. He's my baby, all I have, so thank for the 'warning' for next time, real encouraging.

Okay, that's not too much of an option, he lives inside with me and there's not much separation beyond putting a tiny fence in my tiny house so that he's away from the giant dog, but that leaves him in this less than five foot square space to sit in all day long, the dogs still walk up to HIM. He's my baby, all I have, so thank for the 'warning' for next time, real encouraging.
There's not a lot of encouragement for a situation like this if you're not willing/able to give the duck a separate area away from the dog. What did you want her to say? "Oh, I'm sure it won't happen again?" She's being realistic.
I hope you can find a solution and keep your duck safe.

Back
Top Bottom