My pet Guinea fowls

Honey mercy

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2022
Hi, I just want to share my story about my wonderful Guinea fowls. In 2019 I got 1 lavender Guinea, 1 royal purple Guinea and 5 pearl Guineas. At first I thought they were kinda weird looking, but now that they have grown on me I love them so much. In 2020 we decided to try and hatch keets. I didn't know alot about raising keets because my first Guineas were already adults. I had a chicken that was broody so I put 4 Guinea eggs and 4 chicken eggs under her. Well that was a big mistake, because I didn't know that Guinea eggs take 28 days to hatch. I ended up losing 3 of the Guinea keets and the 4th one just barely survived. So I had 4 chicks and 1 keet hatch. A 5 months later I had a Guinea hatch 10 keets. She did a good job with raising them, unfortunately most of them were males so we had to find them a new home. Last year I hatched around 3 nests. I have kept a few from each batch but most of them I found new homes for. This year so far I have had a chicken hatch 16 keets and another chicken hatch 8, so far. And I also have a Guinea hatching some right now. In about 3 weeks I have another nest that's supposed to hatch. Baby Guinea keets are so adorable and I love cuddling with them. Most of my Guinea fowls are tame but there's a few that don't want me holding them. All my Guinea fowls have names and they love treats. They also like hanging around my chickens and roaming on our property. Sometimes they sleep in trees at night.

Here are pictures of my Guineas!

Attachments

• 20220605_185654.jpg
    20220605_185654.jpg
    730.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20220606_171101.jpg
    20220606_171101.jpg
    642.5 KB · Views: 43
Hi, I just want to share my story about my wonderful Guinea fowls. In 2019 I got 1 lavender Guinea, 1 royal purple Guinea and 5 pearl Guineas. At first I thought they were kinda weird looking, but now that they have grown on me I love them so much. In 2020 we decided to try and hatch keets. I didn't know alot about raising keets because my first Guineas were already adults. I had a chicken that was broody so I put 4 Guinea eggs and 4 chicken eggs under her. Well that was a big mistake, because I didn't know that Guinea eggs take 28 days to hatch. I ended up losing 3 of the Guinea keets and the 4th one just barely survived. So I had 4 chicks and 1 keet hatch. A 5 months later I had a Guinea hatch 10 keets. She did a good job with raising them, unfortunately most of them were males so we had to find them a new home. Last year I hatched around 3 nests. I have kept a few from each batch but most of them I found new homes for. This year so far I have had a chicken hatch 16 keets and another chicken hatch 8, so far. And I also have a Guinea hatching some right now. In about 3 weeks I have another nest that's supposed to hatch. Baby Guinea keets are so adorable and I love cuddling with them. Most of my Guinea fowls are tame but there's a few that don't want me holding them. All my Guinea fowls have names and they love treats. They also like hanging around my chickens and roaming on our property. Sometimes they sleep in trees at night.
Hi Honey and :welcome !!! Cute pics of your crew there! Sounds like you do a lot of hatching. I’ve been slow to get going with it this year. I love my guineas but none of mine volunteer for cuddles…

Will it hurt them if I give them Merrick blue ribbon poultry electrolytes?
I’m not familiar with the brand, but electrolytes that work for chicks should be fine for other poultry as well. After the first day, I usually give a separate container of pure water too so they can choose between them.

Hi Honey and :welcome !!! Cute pics of your crew there! Sounds like you do a lot of hatching. I’ve been slow to get going with it this year. I love my guineas but none of mine volunteer for cuddles…
I've been trying to rebuild my flock of six... I hatched 5 out a few months ago, two died ( they were not developed and one had a neck kink so I needed to take care of it) and the other three were perfect. We went out of town and had a friend watch them and we got notice that my African White baby drowned and that Racoons got the two pies. So when we got back in town I put eggs in my Nurture right 360. There were 22 eggs. Well, on hatching day ( today) no pips and there are five eggs. Yesterday morning I thought I heard pecking and chirping, but now I don't know. We have our next clutch of Guinea eggs ready for hatching, but I am really just hopeful these will hatch, or else that will be over 28 days wasted. I had one Guinea, Mr. Lavender, he did not enjoy getting picked up, but he would tolerate it and sit still. I would need to catch him every night because the flock kept on trying to kill him. Multiple times I thought he was dead. I would catch him and put him in an outside brooder, so that he would not get eaten, like his girlfriend, Lavender Gurl. (I know, I know, I'm very creative with names. I'll tell you in a moment what the other names are...) Eventually the bullying got so bad, I needed to give him to my Agriculture teacher. He is very happy with his Pearl girlfriends. I had to catch my broody Guinea hen, Ridges, every night two weeks ago, for a week. I refuse to let my African White baby girl get killed. The other names are (Pearl Grays: Male: Harry. Female: Madame Pearl.)( African Whites:Male: Soary. HighButt. Female: Ridges.) ( Royal Purple: Male: Guineaiss.) I know I have too many males, but I am WAY too attached to them...

Back
Top Bottom