My Polish Roo is always getting beat up!

Maryallison77

Songster
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Fountain, Florida
Q-tip is my polish roo (he is the one in my profile pic here..he is just all grown up now) He is like 25 weeks old now. Everyone pulls out his feathers on his head.

I have tired 3 different times to put him in the coop & 1 time in a chicken tractor with other hens and they just pluck him. Why does he let them pluck him????? He was all healed up each time I reintroduced him. He is the only 1 this happens to. Isn't he suppose to be manly????? He is a ROO!!!!
hmm.png

Sometimes the roos about this age have not yet gotten the V-shaped comb that lets them see everything around them.

If he has problems seeing you should give him a "haircut".
We continually give our polish "haircuts" around the eyes so they can see properly. The hens will always have this problem, but the roos do eventually grow into an amazing, gorgous and miraculous huge bird.

Their V-shaped combs come into full bore and they start to get their saddle feathers. The golden laced roos simply get to be spectacular birds.

Go to the thread that has pics peoples polish.

I have been struggleing with this problem for months. My polish is a hen but is bald except right around her face. I have taken her out healed her up, used cold tar,no pick,u name it and they will not leave her alone. They have made her bleed once.
somad.gif

I finally gave up and rehomed her with a friend as I couldn't stand to see her beat up. I miss her as she was so sweet !
hit.gif

I was told by a few people that you need to keep polish seperated from other breeds but I don't have the room to do that and she was living in a dog crate in my garage.
sickbyc.gif

Such is life with Polish. They are very vulnerable because of their limited vision. They even pick at each other sometimes. The only answer is to pen them separately. To me giving them "haircuts" seems ridiculous. Why have Polish & them cut off the feature that distinguishes them as a breed?

Back
Top Bottom