my poor babies :(

sammlilyluke

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2017
I have lost 2 silkies in 2 days. the first day, my birthday, my beautiful blue splash died from what I can only assume was an aggressive cancer. I noticed a lump on her back on Saturday, bigger on Sunday but still eating. planned to take her to vet on Monday, went out, fed her by hand... came out an hour later and she had passed. The next morning my favourite silkie, mannerisms of a dog that I cuddled morning and night every single day since I got him was killed by a Racoon who ripped the screws out of the lock I put on the coop door to protect them. So I am done with backyard chickens. I wanted to keep them in the basement at night but my husband and I don't see eye to eye and now my baby has been taken from me. I would like to get a tattoo of a silkie chicken footprint in memory of my fallen beauties. I have had no luck finding anything on the internet and though my vet offered to do a foot impression of whats left of my baby I just couldn't get past how morbid that would be. So I'm hoping someone could get a birdy safe ink impression of their silkies foot for me??? my heart hurts and I miss cuddling my chicken :(

I am so sorry you lost your babies:hugs

I don't have Silkies but there are a lot of owners here on BYC that would be willing to help out.

Once again, deepest condolences. Hope after the hurt goes away you decide to get more silkies. Folks would be willing to help you build a predator proof pen. We love to help out. You have a big heart and unfortunately these things happen to all of us with back yard flocks.

Sorry for your losses. :(

What a cute idea... Maybe you can go a step farther and ask some of wonderful community artist to come up with a whole design to commemorate your sweeties! :love

That was nice of the vet to offer and help in a personal and out of the ordinary way.

Thing is... with my dogs, after loosing one I had declared it hurt too bad and I was done... I lost my leash when we robbed while I was gone to the dog park at 10 am and a few days later he was ran over by a tow truck in front of me. I now know how people can break down screaming and holding their deceased loved one in denial. :hitbut it couldn't be so. As much as hurt to lose a loved one, it hurt sooo much more to wake up without that joy in my life. When I got another dog... that found me and wouldn't leave my side a month later... I took her in. She was so special I started falling in love with her too. And that hurt really bad because it felt like a betrayal to my prior friend. Eventually I accepted that it was OK to love my new friend because my other dog, would have wanted to see me full of joy and sharing my heart, and he probably would have loved her too! It was a healing process and I still hurt sometimes even 9 years later... but like with many other injuries... pain fades with time. :hmm

I wouldn't blame husband... :oops: What I CAN promise you... seeing you hurt IS hurting him. You guys are in this together EVEN if you didn't see eye to eye. :fl

Raccoon and disease are both nasty predators. You ma not be able to truly change disease... but you can curtail your coon issue if you decide to move forward and bring some of that joy back to counter act the grief.

I'm sure some fellow BYC'ers would be willing to help make sure you are more predator resistant and help you get another couple of great fluff balls. My Silkies sell out all the time... but I always try to make special consideration to those with special needs, like healing. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom