My quail hurt her leg badly-Help!!

LilLeafie43

Chirping
Apr 12, 2018
Willow is my 2 year old coturnix quail. She has a extreme case of scissor beak, which was a defect she was born with. She has no eye and can only eat applesauce conaistency food.
Shes been doing really well and shes healthy, exept I came home from school April 6th and when I went to my room to check on her, I found her lying on her side on my floor. She had gotten out of her pen too, (which she does ocassionally, but my room is bird-proofed and my door is always closed) she wasn't able to walk and can't move her leg very well. At first, her leg was shaking as if in pain, so I put her in a small box with food and water. She seemed to be in shock when I first found her: she was super cold, fluffed up, and weak, but after a night in the warm quiet box she got over it. It's been a week days now, and she's acting like there's no porblem, but she still can't walk, although I can nevdr seem to get her to stop trying:barnie:rolleyes:
I couldn't find a break, so I suspected it was a hip thing or a dislocation, but God knows if I know how to fix either of those.... ackk....

I think maybe her leg is dead? Or paralyzed?? I' worried about her starving to death in all honesty, she can't get to the food without assistance, since she topples over and spends a ot of time trying to get back up (I think she forgets about how she was going to eat because she gets so distracted).
She doesn't seem to be in pain anymore, although she never really liked me touching her feet or legs

The leg is always kind of dragging behind her, and is floppy but still warm, however it is paler than the good leg....and she actually trips on it because her good leg steps on it:hmm

There aren't any vets in my area that will even look at quail, since theyre "a dime a dozen" birds, so I'm on my own for this, but I don't know what to do for her. I really really don't want to have to cull her, since it's only her leg that's the problem, and I was hoping I could make her mobile again

Any advice? Ideas??

Back
Top Bottom